Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long ago I learned that the first few thousand postwar K-22s used knobbed ejector rods left over from prewar production. Since I really like that look, I have kept my eyes open for one of these guns. About a week ago I found one.

Yesterday I took delivery. Please meet K4267, which shipped from the factory in September of 1947. The gun is about 98%, with only a little finish thinning at the muzzle and some light speckling on the upper backstrap. Everything else looks new. The numbers all match. I will probably shoot this one a few times to feel as though it is really mine, and then let it become a look-at gun. I have two other K22s (also five-screws, from 1948 and 1953 respectively); they are my just-for-fun shooters and practice target revolvers. There is also a K-22 Outdoorsman from 1934 that I shot a few times and then put away.

I've got to get this K-22 monkey off my back or I will NEVER get the money together for the Triple Lock that I keep telling myself I really want.

G

·
0 Posts
Fish hook Hammer, Post War Transitional Stocks, knobbed ejector rod....

What's not to like about that one!!!. :D

giz

·
Registered
747 Posts
I gotta tell ya, that's about as good as it gets, congrats on a beautiful find.
Keep shootin it, that gun begs to be shot, why let someone else have the pleasure when your gone, and besides its already been shot.
Great picture.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Wow that is a beauty!! Congrats!! klgasilBRVO

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Very nice. The knobbed ejector rod with the barrel cut-out is really different. The fish hook hammer adds to the package of this distinctive and very desirable 5-screw.

Hank

·
Registered
16 Posts
DCW - nice looking K-22. I understand the satisfaction in picking up one of these early post-war K-22, with the one-line address, ejector knob and barrel cut-out. Got me excited as well. Picked this up about 3 years ago, the serial number is only a couple hundred away from yours.

Regards:
Rod

serial number K 4032

................ :)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
DCW said:
I've got to get this K-22 monkey off my back or I will NEVER get the money together for the Triple Lock that I keep telling myself I really want.
There is no cure.

K117

Prewar Outdoorsman's. First Model and Second Model (K-22/40).

17 No Dash.

Welcome to hell.

;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Truth to tell, Hell doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Maybe there is an upside to this addiction thing after all.

As a token of my continuing devotion to the .22 cause, I'll just throw in these pictures of K196446, my 1953 K-22, with southpaw Roper stocks:

Since I took these photos the Ropers have migrated to K14784, which did not have matching-number magnas on it, and the original magnas with the proper number have gone back on the K196446.

David W.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Sweet David. Great Photography as well. As much as I like distressed oak I need to get these guns off my Kitchen Table and into a Light Box....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I need to get these guns off my Kitchen Table and into a Light Box....

Or a shipping box headed for Texas... :mrgreen:

bdGreen

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
bdGreen said:

bdGreen
Now that is funny, I don't care who you are! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
bdGreen said:

bdGreen
Better yet, that K-22/40 should go in one of your "Extra" Red Boxes! :cool:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Geeeez, how many loose red K-22/40 boxes can there be? You've already had your share.... :)

If I had one, it would be with that MINT Pre-War Masterpeice of mine... :|

·
Registered
92 Posts
Okay, this is the first time with the K frames I haven't been able to keep up with you. Drew's got my back. :)
I haven't had an interesting gun come my way in a long time. The last one was a second shipment 5 inch pre 14 to ISP. That was last year.
I do admire what you've been able to acquire lately.
From the looks of the ejector rod on K196446 it got shot a lot but not abused.
Nice stuff Dave. You should be well pleased with yourself.:)
Paul

·
Super Moderator
19,377 Posts
Re: Another early postwar K-22 - Drew have you ever shot yours?

Drew,
I have never heard has K117 ever been shot?
If yes, have you ever shot it?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Yes Greg it's been shot.

It's not pristine so I put a couple of cylinders through it just to be able to say I did.

Drew

·
Super Moderator
19,377 Posts
Drew, You are a good man! No matter what else anybody says.
Anbody that'll shoot something as beautiful as that one deserves a pat on the back.
I appreciate knowing it's not the ultimate safe queen.
I'm of the belief that every gun is made to be shot - at leats once by every owner.

I know that an unfired K-22 is beyond something special, it's an enigma.
But in my eyes yours is even more so, knowing it lives up to it's reputation as a revolver destined to be shot and appreciated.
I'm still watching for the K-22 with my name on it.
It will surely be a used revolver, but I don't know who will appreciate it more.
The guy that gets my money, or me! Whatever it costs me will be worth the wait for sure.

Thanks for your posts and input. I truly appreciate your openness on the forum here. You make guys like me that are beginning S&W fans feel right at home. My hats off to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts