Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from my Gunsmith Friend that he had just got a Mossberg 183T in trade and if I wanted it would not be much at all. He said had a stock finish looked like Birdseye Maple. Went up to the range and the little 410 looked great. It does have built in magazine and bore is very shiny. No choke attachment so thinking may be good for slugs. Did take to range yesterday when picked up and just target #9 ammo but has good pattern ad fed trouble free. Think will be a fun little gun.
thumbnai6l.jpg
thumbnail1.jpg
thumbnail3.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg
thumbnail5.jpg

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
Choke attachment? You mean like a Cutts or something different? Those old guns were typically a fixed tight choke, so check it with slugs to see how it does.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Rodney, your post made me think (and I had to go look at it) of an old bolt action shotgun that Pop & Dad kept up at their mining claim in a shed. It's a 16 GA JC Higgins 583 (may have been produced by Mossberg) with a chopped barrel.....

JCHiggins583Dads_04.jpg

Years ago our family ranch house was burglarized and our guns were stolen.......because this old sawed-off was not at the house, it's one of the few remaining family firearms that's left today.

·
Registered
19,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rodney, your post made me think (and I had to go look at it) of an old bolt action shotgun that Pop & Dad kept up at their mining claim in a shed. It's a 16 GA JC Higgins 583 (may have been produced by Mossberg) with a chopped barrel.....

View attachment 422093

Years ago our family ranch house was burglarized and our guns were stolen.......because this old sawed-off was not at the house, it's one of the few remaining family firearms that's left today.
Great old gun with a lot of history. Glad you still have it. Think Stevens made a lot of the J.C. Higgins too. That looks to be in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
There was a time in my neck of the woods when darn near every house around had a bolt shotgun. Sometimes it was propped by the back door, sometimes it was under the bed, or in a closet. This time of the year it rode in the back window of a pickup truck on some kind of gun rack.

They were less than the cost of an automatic or even a pump shotgun. Not much more expensive than a "single barrel" as everyone called a single-shot shotgun, but offering a repeating possibility. They got used for deer, squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs and such. Not many Po' folks bothered shooting at anything that flew. Shotgun shells were expensive.

A fair number of bolt shotguns had some type of adjustable choke built in. The rest were almost always full choke.

Nice one you got there.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Banned
25 Posts
Very nice.
I inherited my Grandfather's Mossberg 20 185D. Once I cleaned it up, that bolt was smooth as glass. I'm sure yours felt the same. I'm waiting for great feel experience of shooting something this smooth.

·
Registered
19,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice.
I inherited my Grandfather's Mossberg 20 185D. Once I cleaned it up, that bolt was smooth as glass. I'm sure yours felt the same. I'm waiting for great feel experience of shooting something this smooth.
Think you are really going to like it. I have a 195D 12 Ga and it is amazing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts