Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pawn shop offered up another opportunity to add to my collection of SAA's DSCF3833[1].JPG DSCF3834[1].JPG

Take a close look 98% NRA Hand Tuned Action and in .38/.357

American Western Arms Peacekeeper 1873. This was the gun that COLT sued American Western Arms over for patent violations and copy right as Colt had the name Peacekeeper already copyrighted . They also sued because of the grips looked to much like Colts. American Western Arms lost the suit and went out of business. Only 2071 of these were built by AWA.

She is super tight and a really beautiful gun. Some say this gun was better that the Colt 2nd generations. I shoot it and find out.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Congrats mate sweet looking gun.

Thewelshm

·
Registered
16,309 Posts
What a great find. Afraid I could not have passed that one up either. Hope you find it to be like my JP Sauer and Sohn. In that it is remarkably accurate and well balanced. I hope yours holds true to the saying. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a great find. Afraid I could not have passed that one up either. Hope you find it to be like my JP Sauer and Sohn. In that it is remarkably accurate and well balanced. I hope yours holds true to the saying. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.
We are going to find out really soon how it shoots . Just need some cooler weather and less bugs !!!

·
Registered
19,653 Posts
Sweet! Looks great. Congrats to you.:)

download (3).jpg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Well ,,,,since part of the subject is copyrights and patent violations over Peacekeeper/Peacemaker we better get the rest of it right.

SAA or Single Action Army is also a protected term and cannot be used with anything other than a COLT made 1873 model. Everything else by any other maker is just a Single Action .

So ,,,, all ya'all better call your lawyers an tell them to get ready.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since Colt has stopped producing the 1873 in Gen 1 2 and 3 guns and it has not been produced for 10 years now i believe that the Copy wright on S A A is up. Other companies are now selling the single Action Army "clones" The peacekeeper name was a gun already used by Colt. It was the SAA converted to Double Action.

Lots of history here however. !! But then again I am one who believes that Colt has outlived its usefulness in the gun world. and needs to fade into history. They have no new ideas and keep bringing out guns that the American Public Can't afford and Don't want .

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
Colt had a lot of problems with copycats infringing on his patents over the years. At one point he had an agent in Liege Belgium at the proof house. Since all the guns made in the country had to go to the proof house, this was a much more efficient method of finding the copy cats than checking out all the gunsmiths. This was during the time when he had a patent on the "When cocking the hammer, it causes the cylinder to spin to the next cylinder". The patent was approved in 1835-1836 depending on if it was here or France, Belgium or England. this was during one of Sam Colts down turn times and he didn't have resources to go after infringers. Later in the later 1840's when he was back in business with the Walker, he had resources to go after them.
Anyways, his man in Liege at the proof house would inspect each revolver coming through that had Colts patented action or even looked like a Colt. If the copy was of high enough quality the agent stamped "Colt Brevete" which means Colt Patent on the gun. The gunmaker was then charged 10 francs for use of patent. The agent kept 1 of every 10 francs. This system was set up and running by 1851. Colt also sold some Colt parts in Europe, thinking he would make money off the part and the patent fee and he did pretty well with this.
These guns were all made in Europe, usually in small - medium sized shops in Belgium & France so quality varies from "pretty good" to "Maybe better than Colt".. Forgotten Weapons, on You Tube recently released a video on the subject, which I watched the other day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts