Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone wear an ankle holster?
How uncomfortable are they in the summer heat?
I imagine you put the gun inside your ankle so you don't bang walls and stuff as you walk, but do they fall down as you walk?

I never bought one so this will help me out, if I decide to go for it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
500 mag if you are going to try and carry one of your 500's then you will need a Garter Belt attached to the ankle holster to hold that up. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Daveht said:
500 mag if you are going to try and carry one of your 500's then you will need a Garter Belt attached to the ankle holster to hold that up. :mrgreen:
AND suspenders to hold up the garter belt!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I love my Renegade rig...but all ankle rigs work best with airweights and below (less than a pound)....people who tell you they have no problem with as SP101, model 60, or a 2 1/2 inch 66 aren't walking all that much. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have carried a Kel-Tec PF-9 in a Fobus ankle holster and a Glock 26 in a Galco. The Glock is too big unless I have dress pants on and I seem to clunk it getting out of the truck. I no longer own the Kel-Tec but that is another story. I am now looking a smaller gun for a CCW. Maybe a NAA .380 or the Ruger LCP.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gun I was thinking was the little 649 (stainless 38 SPL bodyguard) revolver. I normally wear straight leg paints so it might be tight if I need to draw it. I was thinking when I'm in my truck (of the sitting position), it would be easier to draw from my ankle, then the gun being in a pocket holster.

Keep it going!

·
Registered
27 Posts
In a truck, I would rather use a seat holster (Desantis makes a good one). I really don't get ankle holsters. Seems to slow to me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
500 Magnum Nut said:
The gun I was thinking was the little 649 (stainless 38 SPL bodyguard) revolver. I normally wear straight leg paints
I've worn out a couple of Renegades over the years, using them for my 640-1, but some straight legs are too small at the bottom and are too tight. Otherwise, the J frame is a classic for ankle carry. My steel Centennial type works fine for me on the ankle, but when I go to pocket carry, my Airweight 642 does work a lot better.

Here is an old pic that shows some of the wear on an old Renegade, from daily carry (and, umm, with respect, I was walking all over the place back then). This model lasts me a couple to a few years, quite a bit longer than their all stretchy fabric version (which lasts me about a year). I forget which model is which, but one is the model 50, and the other the model 500.

When drawing from this holster, just grab the grip and pull the gun out of the holster- no problems at all. Then you have to release the strap to re-holster. These are comfortable and well made. A family operation too, with great service and a good price.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Give them a call... 602-482-6777

·
Registered
288 Posts
500 Magnum Nut, I have tried to use an ankle holster but was not satisfied. Stopped proper blood flow if secured properly so as to prevent rotation around the ankle. You should try to run with one attached. (I had chicken leg ankles then) Tried to secure a small TP-70 North American Arms .22lr cal. semi-auto. That was 30+ years ago and the technology has surely improved by now. This is a personal opinion based on experience only and opinions do vary, Good luck, Sam

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking when it's really warm out and I don't want the gun in the pocket routine...
I might be sorry and it could be a waste of money as I never tried one before. Live and learn.
Well, I ordered a Galco Ankle Glove: Black, R/H S&W J-Frame Hammerless Models, 2 - 2 1/8 " Revolvers from http://store.packinheatleather.com/index.html

I try it out and let you know my thoughts when I receive it. Wish me luck :ymdaydream:

Here is a close up of it, wrong gun but you get the idea what it looks like.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 38_5428462

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a follow up, the Galco ankle holster is high quality!

I like it, it works well and the gun is very tight fitting in the holster. I even tried running up and down the driveway and the gun never moved. The top shin strap is not included. No worries, you don't need it.

The holster is a keeper. :ymapplause:

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW...I have two of the Alessi Ankle Holsters for a Glock Model 27 .40 and a S & W Model 642 .38 special. I don't believe that there is a better ankle holster on the market. I have worn the Alessi Ankle Holster every day for over 10 years and it is still tight and holds the handgun in place. I did purchase a Galco Ankle Holter for a Kimber Ultra CDP II .45 ACP and it is a good holster also but the holster thumbreak causes a little more bulk on the ankle. I have been carrying an ankle holster handgun for amost 30 years (have tried a dozen makes) and I believe the Alessi is the best on the market... :cool:

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
My 30+ year old Roger's ankle rig has given great service, but to get through the day without developing a limb I stick with "Airweight" J-frames. The all steel M-60 or M-649 are about the upper limit of comfort for me.

Getting used to an ankle rig can be a chore. Adjust the strap too tight and your toes turn blue while your foot falls asleep. You also will have to learn to keep your feet FLAT on the floor vs. crossing your legs.

Cross your legs and you'll see some smoe across the restaurant dive for cover when he sees your J-frame's muzzle pointing at his mellon.

Before purchasing one I'd try to find a friend who'll loan you one to test drive. Though a bit uncomfortable, there are times when an ankle (or shoulder holster) works best for the situation at hand.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Glad that you like your new ankle holster. I have a Ken Null that I carry a model 49 in. The holster is lined with thick felt that soaks up the sweat during the hot South Texas summers. Great holster which I have been using off and on for 12 years now. The 49 was my first Smith and Wesson and has been in my stable for around 25 years or so. They are a great combo for concealed carry when wearing jeans and sneakers. I can notice the weight while wearing the model 49 , however its not bad at all. I have thought of getting an Airweight version to replace my 49 , however the 49 steel frame soaks up the recoil much, much better than the Airweights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've worn them for years, carrying everything from a Beretta 21 to a S&W 60 (.357) to a G27. I currently have a Galco which is ten years old and the sheep wool padding is getting pretty matted down. I've had an Alessi, which is a great holster, but just didn't fit my ankle as well. I also used a Renegade for the Model 60, but found that it tended to sit uncomfortably on my ankle bone at times.

To wear one, you're going to have to wear boot cut jeans or slacks. You might have to have an extra couple of inches in the inseam added because when you sit down and your pantlegs ride up, the gun is exposed.

A subcompact semi (G26-27 or S&W M&P compact) or J-frame revolver is about all I'd carry in an ankle rig because of size and weight.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Re: Sitting down, I wear my sock over the barrel & cylinder area of the holster/gun. And for myself, the J frame is the biggest that works for me in ankle holsters.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've worn an ankle holster nearly every day for over fifteen years and have found the Alessi to be the best, hands down. I carried a Ruger SP-101 and later transitioned to a Kahr K-9 due to a severe wrist injury. Both of these are considered too heavy by some, but I've carried them constantly on-duty and in the warm summer months as an off-duty piece, I've found the system works for me. I've worn one so long I hardly notice it. The system works well for some applications, less well for others, but like most things practice is the key.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts