Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these Thai J frame grips about a year ago
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

The wood is a nice hardwood with an excellent fit and a nice coke bottle profile which gives a hand filling palmswell.

I decided. I would like them better better with more of a semi- roundbutt look. Here is a before
Wood Wood stain

Here is after. I also stripped the original finish with acetone, sanded, stained and applied 4 coats of Danish oil
Wood

Here they are on the gun
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

This shows the coke bottle profile
Wood Wood stain Hardwood

I have tried a couple sets of grips on this gun. The factory Altamont grips aren’t all that great with magnum recoil. They do work quite well on my 442 or 638 even with plus p ammo. I’ll put them up for now to save wear & tear

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Along with rounding off the heel end of the butt,I also wanted less orange color. The wood has a natural reddish orange tint. I used MinWax Provincial, followed by a coat of Special Walnut. When dry i did 2 coats of hand rubbed Danish Oil finish. Next I heated the grips with a blow dryer and when hot applied a 3rd and 4th coat which I also heated again before rubbing in after the oil had been on the surface for about 10 minutes. I also buffed with steel wool lightly between coats 3 & 4. I intend to do a 5th coat followed with RenWax.

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
I've always liked the oil finishes on stocks. The urethane is just too shiny...

Your work brought out the grain and deeper beauty of the wood.

I haven't done handgun stocks, but I have done a number of M1 Garand military stocks. They do look better.

When you use oil finishes, you also have the opportunity to use steam to deal with minor dents that may be in the wood. It will swell the wood and allow you to correct many blemishes.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent results on those grips! I don't know how you find the time for these projects what with breaking all your guns etc. : )
It's been that kind of year. Will probably have to send the m60 in to S&W and have them replace and stake that nut in place. That's my night time dog walking in the country gun, seeing as how it has a tritium front sight. Last night I carried my 2.25" Ruger SP101 but I think I'll carry my 3" 686 tonight. The dog and I were close enough to a big doe last night that I could have dropped her with my 442. Was only about 90 feet away, broadside. There has been a bear around.

·
Registered
30,190 Posts
Look great! The grain really pops out now and the feel good in the palm.(y)

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Super Moderator
19,913 Posts
I like what you did rounding off the base of those grips. They look comfortable, and practical as well.

Reactions: jonesy814
1 - 18 of 18 Posts