Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to confess, this is something I have never heard of, before, so I thought I would just put it out
here, and see if any of you have had a similar situation. My retriever, half Tennessee Brindle Hound, half Labrador,
apparently is fond of Box Turtles. She's dug up at least 8 of them in the last two weeks. She seems very proud of these captures, and has to literally be chased away from them. I don't want to discourage her from searching, but I would like to get her past this kink in her habits, as a hunting dog.

Anybody else experience this before ? I have to wonder what the result will be, when she runs afoul of a large, nasty Snapper. (No ex-wife jokes, please.)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
What no pictures of your dog?

I have a friend who breeds and hunts Griffons. He takes his dogs to a trainer who specializes in teaching dogs to avoid rattlesnakes. Maybe there is a trainer close to you that could work on turtle avoidance?

My first lab had an affinity for cow pies. Not very dangerous but she thought they were fun to roll in! The fresher the better....Never did break her of that love.. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
I didn't know box turtles buried themselves. A pic of the dog would be nice. Box turtles are cool. When I was little I use to hunt them and put em in a bucket and then let em go latter.

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Hey - they are great smelling rocks that move when you nudge them. My dog loved them too. I had to move him away from them every time he found one.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Don't worry about it at all. I've had two pointing dogs and known of several others that we enamored of turtles at a young age. They usually give up on them by about two years old.
Young dogs will do weird stuff. My buddy Matt has had MANY great GSP's. When "Ace" was a pup and on his first quail hunt, he picked up a discarded Coke can and walked around crunching it......all the way around 160 acres. He wouldn't get within arms reach of Matt, and had no interest in hunting birds at all. I laughed until I hurt. Needless to say, Matt put him back on the check cord for the next spot!

·
Banned
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, only another year or so, of her digging up turtles.(I hope)Thanks.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
My girl is half lab and half Rhodesian Ridgeback. Birds she leaves alone, but rabbits, squirrels and even one turtle get her attention all the time. Well that and anyone in any sort of uniform

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
You dog is going after Gopher turtles. They burrow in dry ground. However you dog may not be going after the turtle itself. Rabbits and other animals share the dens with the turtles . She/He may be gong after them and the turtle is just there. Its a possibility. Anyway. Can I borrow your dog. ??? i have 40 acres of field full of Gopher Turtles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts