Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The summit of the Coast Range is just a few miles East of the beach. Its highest peak is a little over 4500' (Compare to the Cascade Range with volcanic peaks over 11,000'). In the Coast Range are a number of small Wilderness Areas. Drift Creek Wilderness is 18 square miles of moss and old growth hemlock, cedar, and fir, and sitka spruce to 7' diameter. Elevation ranges from 80 - 2100'. Annual precipitation as rain is 120". A temperate rainforest. Snow is rare.

Bald eagles, spotted owls, Roosevelt elk, black bear, and cougar. The creek has twice annual runs of wild Chinook salmon and steelhead (Spring and Fall) as well as native cutthroat trout.

We hiked 3.5 miles to reach the creek, the dogs had a swim and we had lunch then hiked back out. Drove to where the creek enters the Pacific.

Played around on the beach.

And found these weird critters. What the heck are they?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dan,

I'm guessing egg sacks for some largish invertabrate....

Looks like a nice walk.... we still have plenty of snow up here.... I can't even cross my deck yet....

Jackie looks like she enjoyed the swim.....

Drew

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well all I know is I ate a half dozen and nothing happened.. :wtf:

Seriously though, Jackie had a great time as always. Lots of elk scat to snif. My old dog Chutney (turned 14 in February) was the trooper of the day though. I can't imagine she has many more of these adventures in her.. but she still has a great time going out. A lot of heart. We walked back pretty slowly..

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Beautiful pictures.Looks so simular to home it makes me home sick.I was looking at that picture of the creek thinking just where I would cast my fly to snag a cut.I think I need a vacation soon.

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
That's absolutely beautiful. Living there must be a treat....especially with no snow!!! :lol: About now, I've been sick of the stuff for 3 months. It's been a hard winter here. It's all gone now, but some small patches remain in the woods, not far from home,in a woodsy area that I like to trout fish. Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I grew up in Toledo, which is just N. of Drift Creek on the Yaquina river. Old timers called the entire area South of the Yaquina to the Alsea the South Tract, railroad lingo, while the Siletz drainage was called the North tract. I may be FOS on some of this. The trail is a gem, with the actual creek a wonderful reward. Some world class crawdad's to be caught. I slept on the rocks creekside in 1968 or so when we were in Boy Scouts, rained all night. There probably is a better spot in the world, but I haven't been there.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Dan,

don't know how I missed this post before. That type area is what I miss the most from out there!

Beautiful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts