Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I love that knife!

I see the pin in the stag. Is the tang flat - and do you know whether or not it extends beyond the pin?

I'm asking because nowadays most tangs extend all the way to the butt. I've examined quite a few old well-used knives that have what modern knifemakers would scoff at as a "short" tang, but they are just as tight and rigid as when they were made decades earlier.

I wouldn't say this knife has a "short" tang, but if it extends only to the pin hole, it's much shorter than the modern norm. Any thoughts on this?

xtm

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'm asking questions about tang length because of this blade:

The blade portion is ~5" long and is made of a thick, heavy piece of carbon steel. I don't know what type of carbon steel it's made of, but it is as tough as a Buck to sharpen. Once it's sharpened, it stays that way, too.

I found it in a drawer in my grandad's workbench when we sold the old place. My dad says he remembers Pop fooling with that blade back in the 1940s. I epoxy'd a piece of antler onto it in the 1970s, but would now like to do a proper job of it - if it's worthwhile. Some knifemakers poohpooh short tangs - others love them because they can put a pin through the grip.

xtm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.