Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's brother, her only remaining sibling and direct family member, well he's on a road trip of sorts with a couple of his old Navy buddies from Viet Nam. He lives in San Antonio, Texas, where their mother lived until she passed away some years ago. He brought several old family keepsakes for my wife, since she appreciates them so much and is wanting to get items together for her two kids. Anyway, their mother was Belgian, born in the Belgian Congo in the 20's, on board her father's river cargo ship. This is an ebony wood carved sculpture from the Congo that had belonged to my wife's grandmother. We don't know how old it is, but at a minimum, the early 1920's, and let me tell you, it feels like it's full of lead (or gold), it's HEAVY! I've not seen many actual ebony objects, but I have some heavy carved wood Rhino book-ends that I got in Kenya when I was a young sailor. The book-ends are tourist quality stuff, this ebony piece is not, it's really something else, my terrible cell phone pictures don't do it justice. Take a peek!

Wood Art Artifact Window blind Sculpture

Automotive tire Wood Natural material Feather Hardwood

Wood Picture frame Dress Chair Hardwood

·
Registered
33,107 Posts
Very cool and even cooler back story!

·
Registered
35,120 Posts
Very nice! Interesting carving for sure.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 9 of 9 Posts