Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Ammo too old to use?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  StevenHunter 
#1 ·
Hi All, I had posted a 32 Long CTG and I had acquired in another forum. There was a box of ammo with it, looks very old. I'm wondering if I should use it or not. I have no idea how old it is. I thought maybe someone might recognize this Remington box and have an idea. I couldn't find any date anywhere on the box. What do think?

See less See more
#2 ·
Shoot it up

#3 ·
I would try it. The ammo looks to be in decent shape and I don't see corrosion. That ammo was made between 1946 and 1960 based on the box. On the right in a red oval where it says Dupont is one give a way. Before 1946 the logo was different and one oval said UMC instead of Dupont

#5 ·
You can shoot it (should work just fine if stored in cool dry place all those years) or offer it up to collectors, and buy two boxes for the money you get.

#6 ·
Years ago I bought a can of loose 32 S&W cartridges, They were mixed headstamps and some were close to 100 years old. They were not of interest to me as a collector but I was interested to see if they would still fire. I took a couple 32 Smith & Wesson revolvers and fired them. Some were black powder, semi smokless, and modern but every round fired without fail. There were over 100 rounds in that can and of course I had a big job of cleaning my 2 revolver.

#7 ·
I have some 22 ammo from the same time period. Peters used this style box from 1950 until 1962. These are full boxes of ammo
Label Auto part

When I got it there was a partial box and one with a torn flap too. I shot those a couple years ago.

#10 ·
Those sure are the same style with same Dupont logo, they are in much better condition, nice for collection.

I have some 22 ammo from the same time period. Peters used this style box from 1950 until 1962. These are full boxes of ammo

When I got it there was a partial box and one with a torn flap too. I shot those a couple years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.