Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy smokes, ammo prices must have doubled in the last 6 months. Here I surf the web and I'm pricing ammo. The reloading prices are off the wall too.
This is unbelievable, just 4 months into a new president and prices have gone nuts!
That is if you can find ammo or components...
I have been reloading for years and luckily, I have stocked up at the right time.
Maybe I'll search for rimfire stuff....

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
It is ridiculous, my ammo is going to be worth more than my guns soon.

·
Administrator
8,098 Posts
For sure, reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot nowadays.

And, I'm so glad I listened, and stocked up on components last year when people were warning this day would come..

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
As some have already suspected, the combination of greed, hoarding, and commodity pricing will accomplish just what the Obamination is afraid to tackle now:
Pricing average shooters out of the market.
Buying into a 'hoarding' or 'panic buying' mentality is a fantastic way to eliminate ourselves from the supply-chain, while blaming the government.
Blame the 'greed' on buyers, manufacturers and retailers.
The hoarding is on us.
Commodity prices are what they are, and demand will continue to push them up.
Like Walt Kelly said, "We have met the enemy and they are US."
:roll:
Don

·
Registered
90 Posts
And I always thought Pogo Possum said that.... ;)

V/r

Chuck

DHENRY said:
[SNIP]
Like Walt Kelly said, "We have met the enemy and they are US."
:roll:
Don

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I guess that, in addition to drawing the strip, Walt also cleaned the cage!
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Don

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I stopped off at bass pro shop in vegas today Few boxes 40 cal were only hand gun rounds. Had a lot of rifle ammmo and shot gun but it was high.Bass pro shops are always realy high any way but like a box of 338 ultra mags are 77 bucks.Regular 338 mag was 47 bucks. 30-06 was 21 and so was 30-30, 300 win mag 57 bucks.
There were no primers at all ,lots of bullets other supplies. They have a sighn up no more than three boxes of one caliber per customer.
There was a woman buying a new 9mm and was saying I got a gun now I gotta find some ammo. I told her good luck unless she wants to go online and pay out ragous prices.I was driving a truck for friend of mine and hauling a another broke down one on a trailer so I couldnt hit any other places but I dont think it would have done any good.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
WALMART prices have remained the same, but you've got to "hit it right" to find some ammo. Once in a while they will get some in, but, the first guy to get it.....gets it all!!! I bought all 4 boxes left of CCI Mini-Mags, and had to settle for the only box of cheap Winchester Xpert. (not much better than nothin'!!!:roll: ) Bob

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Speaking of Wal-Mart, we were weren't we? The Wal-Mart in the NE has 12 & 20 gauge shotshells on sale for $4.00 a box. Guess who nearly cleaned them out? :D Picked up six boxes of Federal 550 bulk-packs. Yeah, they limit your purchase to six of anything, except shotshells.

G

·
0 Posts
Ammo isn't scaring me too much. It is actually available now. At very high prices though. 4-5 months ago, you couldn't even find it. it will come back down sometime. Probably in fall.

My biggest complaint is lack of shooting areas around here. Used to go on some private timber property. Due to vandalism they shut it down last fall. This spring I have been out to 3 such spots i used to visit in the past only to find gates and no trespassing signs. Not 1 shot fired.

Couple more places to check. Getting to be a 45 minute drive 1 way. Pretty soo the only viable option is a gun club. Yuck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The president of the gun club I belong to attended the NRA convention in Phoenix. He approached all the ammo manufacturers that had booths. He says he was told that they have only raised their prices approximately $1.00 per box. Since ammo prices have doubled recently it's either the distributors or retailers that are gouging us.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
The WALMART in Vermont only had the Winchester Xpert (bulk box) at around $12, and the CCi Mini-Mag was $6.50/100 box. I would have preferred Federal Bulkm ammo, but they didn't have any.

What do the reports (of personal experience) have to say about the Winchester Xpert ammo???? This, is the first time I have bought it. I have my doubts.....but it's better then nothing!!!......I guess :roll: Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
The early Expert stuff was crap, according to what I have read on forums. They claim that it has gotten better but I have never tried it. The Federal bulk stuff is what I always look for. Good quality at a good price.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Forrester, I agree on the Federal, but since they didn't have it, or Remington, I went with the only game in town, Winchester. :( Bob

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The folks at Wal-Mart know me well enough that when I approach the counter they simply say, "No handgun ammo or .22." Saves waiting. I did pick up 60 rounds of .22-250, though. They did have three boxes of .44 Magnum, but I didn't want to spend over $100 on 60 rounds. :shock:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should price the 500 mag. It should be 75.00 for a box of 20 right now, that everything is upside down....
Sure glad I don't need any.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't take long. The most expensive I found is only 69.80 a box from the on line stores. That's 20 cartridges not a box of 50! I think I order 10 boxes... :lol:
.500 S&W Federal Premium Vital-Shok Handgun Cartridges, 275-Grain Barnes(no reviews)
Our Price:$69.80

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bob K said:
What do the reports (of personal experience) have to say about the Winchester Xpert ammo???? This, is the first time I have bought it. I have my doubts.....but it's better then nothing!!!......I guess :roll: Bob
I have found some duds in a few boxes of Xpert bulk. In one of my Rugers it's the best bulk ammo, another shoots better with Federal auto match bulk. A lot depends on the gun.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
This fussing, fuming, and blabber aren’t going to change a thing. Look in the mirror you’re part of the problem also. Collectively the members of the herd are stampeding. :oops:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts