Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....Midway USA has a neat feature that lets you put the type of ammo you want into a "wish list", but also a "notify me" when it is available. I had put about 20 different brands and box amounts in both. Got notified and I ordered 10 boxes of 50 for $190 including shipping. I had just purchased 1 box at my shooting range for $37.50 in 124 grain. What is the difference in the 115 grain and the 124 and is it better to get the 124? This morning, when I do my daily check online for ammo available, I had received an e-mail that the Federal brand 9mm ammo 115 grain was available. It says it is good for target practice but I figure it would protect me at home as well. Also, it says to order as soon as possible, if you want, because it goes fast. Hopes this helps someone out there as I just joined and several have already helped me a lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What is the difference in the 115 grain and the 124 and is it better to get the 124?
That's the weight of the bullet. You get different velocities, range, energy rating, etc. Example: a 9mm luger in FMJ 115 grain may have a muzzle velocity of 1180, whereas the 124 grain may have 1150. The energy rating goes up with the heavier bullet., range is impacted, other things. Depends on what you want to do with the bullet: compete against Jerry in a fast draw, have better accuracy at 50 yards, scare the hell out of a bad guy breaking into your house (and by "scare the hell out" I mean ventilate and reaquiant him with his long past ancestors) . For range practice you should get a good cheap FMJ round to practice with but also lay down some of your home defense rounds (JHP +P maybe) and get a feel for them as well.

·
Registered
26,134 Posts
The difference between the 115 and 124 is exactly 9 grains..............;)(y)

While both shoot well enough in my various 9mm, I like the 124s a tad better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the weight of the bullet. You get different velocities, range, energy rating, etc. Example: a 9mm luger in FMJ 115 grain may have a muzzle velocity of 1180, whereas the 124 grain may have 1150. The energy rating goes up with the heavier bullet., range is impacted, other things. Depends on what you want to do with the bullet: compete against Jerry in a fast draw, have better accuracy at 50 yards, scare the hell out of a bad guy breaking into your house (and by "scare the hell out" I mean ventilate and reaquiant him with his long past ancestors) . For range practice you should get a good cheap FMJ round to practice with but also lay down some of your home defense rounds (JHP +P maybe) and get a feel for them as well.
You lost me at the "That's the weight"...........I'm not sure which end of the bullet goes into the gun first (just kidding) but I am why Midway sells ammo.

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
There are 7,000 grains in a pound.

437-1/2 grains in an ounce.

The difference of 9 grains..... a shade over 1/1,000th of a pound.

Bullet design has more to do with function & terminal ballistics.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19,399 Posts
There are 7,000 grains in a pound.

437-1/2 grains in an ounce.

The difference of 9 grains..... a shade over 1/1,000th of a pound.

Bullet design has more to do with function & terminal ballistics.

Hope this helps.
Exactly.

·
Registered
19,399 Posts
My attorney called me yesterday and asked me if I had any 223's I wanted to sell. He don't roll his own (like I do) either. I said I had thousands but not for sale yet. I'm holding out for the best price because I'm sure it will increase as time goes on.

Right now, 223's in 55grain FMJ's is going for a buck a round limit one box at the local gun shop and no where online is any available except through the 'wish list' thing.

When the time comes (and it will), I'll sell off some of what I have but it won't be now. I'll keep my handloads and sell off the factory stuff including the light armor piercing (personnel) rounds I have.

I have a load. Have a load of Federal's in 308 flavor too.

Way more than I'll ever use in both calibers. Especially the 223's. All in 500 boxes and I just received 1000 .224 SPBT's direct from Hornady in Grand Island. First time I ever bought direct, won't be the last either.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
26,134 Posts
Local retail store of the gun range has 308,223, 45, 38, 9mm, 40 and a host of others. Not too long ago there was a pallet of 7.62x39 on the floor; prices aren't totally insane either, a box of PMC 230FMJ 45ACP was $23

Reactions: memtb and msharley

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
You Sir! You live in PARADISE!

·
Registered
573 Posts
msharley, I rarely go into gun stores, but about 6 weeks ago was in our LGS. They had a lot of ammo and reloading components. I guess that we’re far enough removed from the problem areas that no one is concerned or they have plenty of stuff on hand! Then, are those that are completely oblivious......which is a major issue unto itself! memtb

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
Hey M,

Over the past month, have visited four of our LGS's...mostly to show my face...find out the "inside dope" on the local Match scene/plans for '21 & such....

Few Primers. (one shop had 2,000 Large Pistol Magnum, 1,000 Large Rifle Magnum, at regular price, for them)

12ga ammo at one shop. $40/box.

22lr at another. $100/brick.

One set of 38 Super Dies. (I recently obtained an 8 shooter in this flavor) A few Die Sets in "oddball calibers"...

Some powder. $30/lb?

Very few firearms. New or used.

Limited rifle ammo (300 Savage? Box of Weatherby something?) NO PISTOL AMMO at any.

Three shops are STOCKING DILLON DEALERS.....one 550 shell plate for 38Super/ 9mm, betwixt the lot...two tool heads... In normal times, one can walk into any of the three Dillon Dealer Shops and get squared away in short order. That was then....this is now....

Two of the shops have kept me in primers, in the past.....

All four shops say the SOONEST they expect primers...possibly April.. Maybe November? (this is what the SUPPLIER is telling them)

So...you now know as much as I know...

I started out with NOTHING! Still got most of it left! LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mark, I wish that I’d looked a little harder at what they had and the prices. I was there for a hunting license, in my usual hurry, and knew there was a shortage elsewhere....and noticed their shelves were mostly full of ammo and components, and the pistol display and rifle racks were full as well!

I want to believe that they weren’t “gouging” folks on prices. A small town, locally owned, long established business..... you shouldn’t “screw-over” your neighbors! ;) memtb

·
Registered
10,131 Posts
Hey M,

Like I said, was mainly to show my face....and gather up supplies to load 38 Super...

Succeeded! Did not purchase anything "over" price. Did pay full retail (ain't gonna haggle, when there's a ten folk behind me...itchin' to get they wallets out) LOL!

There is no .223 or 9mm ammo on shelves.

Some powder. A couple primers...

Like the blame "swarm of Locusts" done been through...

Later, Mark

Reactions: memtb
1 - 17 of 17 Posts