Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one of these American classic 1911's made by Metro Arms?
I tried one of these out earlier today, and it seemed like a pretty well made 1911 for the money. It's new ( aside from the 10 rounds fired from it at my pusher's by me and him ) $ 450.00 OTD is the asking price. I'm seriously considering it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I've done a lot of reading on these and owners certainly seem to like them.

I'm curious as to the metallurgy and how it will hold up over time.

I took the plunge once with one of those Armalite AR-24, CZ/Sig 210 jobs and couldn't have been happier. Was very pleasant to shoot and very well made. The whole "Turkish" thing threw a lot of folks off, but the only reason I got rid of it was lack of magazine availability.

I'd go for it!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LeMat said:
I've done a lot of reading on these and owners certainly seem to like them.

I'm curious as to the metallurgy and how it will hold up over time.
Yeah, that is my main concern. I haven't found a review yet that has anything negative to say about them. Everything was nice, fit and finish on the one I shot yesterday ........ just hope it will stay that way over time if I decide to buy it. I honestly think I will go for it though.
The grips on this one are different, but other than that ..............

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I bit the bullet, so to speak and picked up my new American Classic 1911 today. I think it was a great deal for the cost .......... fit and finish, it's a nice pistol aside from the grips. I'll be looking for a set of grips for it in the near future. I'll post pics in the 1911 forum in a day or so.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is Metro Arms an American company? I have never heard of them before. The gun looks great. I would be very interested to hear how it shoots for you. Congrats. The price is certainly right!

WG840

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheelgunner840 said:
Is Metro Arms an American company? I have never heard of them before. The gun looks great. I would be very interested to hear how it shoots for you. Congrats. The price is certainly right!

WG840
Metro Arms is located in the Philippeans. They manufacture the American classic and Firestorm 1911's ( they're identical except for the rollmarks ). Their 1911's got good reviews on gunblast and the 1911 forums.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LeMat said:
Be sure to 'wring 'er out and let us know how it goes. :mrgreen:
I'll be putting her through the paces one day next week :mrgreen: and a report will follow. I think I'll be happy with it's performance.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a couple pics I took with my phone ( my camera disappeared awhile back and I haven't replaced it yet ). I think the stocks are pretty ugly and they will be replaced soon.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Those panels look kinda nice to me.

Is this your only 1911? Reason I ask is that the frame flats make it look as though the frame may be a bit thinner than other 1911's. If you've got another one, I'd be curious to know if the measurements are close to each other.

I haven't seen that much steel showing between the front and backstraps and the edges of the grip panels on other 1911's

Also, what is that within the hammer spur? Looks like initials of some sort. I like it.

Sure looks like a nice piece.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LeMat said:
Those panels look kinda nice to me.

Is this your only 1911? Reason I ask is that the frame flats make it look as though the frame may be a bit thinner than other 1911's. If you've got another one, I'd be curious to know if the measurements are close to each other.

I haven't seen that much steel showing between the front and backstraps and the edges of the grip panels on other 1911's

Also, what is that within the hammer spur? Looks like initials of some sort. I like it.

Sure looks like a nice piece.
Trust me, the panels look better in the picture ........ they are made from an orange-ish plastic with a simulated wood grain.

It's my only 1911, so I have nothing to compare it to. It's a government model clone, so the dimensions should be about the same as the other government models. If you want to take some measurements off one of your 1911's, I'll take some measurements off this one for comparison.

The skeletonized hammer has the manufacturer's initials ..... MA ....... for Metro Arms in the center.

I agree, it is a nice looking piece and I hope it performs as well as it looks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What parts are interchangeable with standard 1911 and American Classic? I have a Rock Island and there is generally no problem with parts interchanging.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
c45man said:
What parts are interchangeable with standard 1911 and American Classic? I have a Rock Island and there is generally no problem with parts interchanging.
As far as I know, the American Classic is made to standard 1911 specs and all parts should interchange.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well this sucks ........... I can't find any ammo to feed my new addition. I can't even reload for it since this is the only caliber I have that requires large pistol primers ( small pistol primers are all I have in stock ). nbvoALO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts