Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In one end of my shop I have a 8 foot long water through that I'm using to brood some baby Pekin Ducks. Next to it is a commercial chick brooder with twenty Road Island Red chicks. I had just replaced the wood chips in the duck brooder (nasty nasty birds) and hung the heat lamp back in place, when I was called in to dinner. When I returned, the entire shop was filled with dense smoke, and fire was blazing from the end where the lamp was. Evidently, I didn't secure the clamp on the heat lamp and it fell on to the wood chips. A few minutes later, and the entire place could have gone up.Fortunately, everyone survived, which is a miracle, considering the amount of smoke. Lesson learned for sure !

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Close call! Glad no one was hurt. The latest round of chickens at the barn I keep the horse at just became coyote dinners it would appear. All gone in some night raids.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Glad to hear that all's well that ends well .

You never know how a simple thing can have disastrous results .

Measure twice , cut once .......................... or something like that .

Regards
George

·
Premium Member
16,930 Posts
It's good when it can be a lesson and not a loss!

Reactions: sdismukes

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Yes sir! Those brooders are not to be fooled with! We have 12 barns 500' long and house up to 250,000 birds at a time. I know all about those things! Glad you caught it in time!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wood chips, heat lamps and chickens. Somehow, I knew it wasn't going to end well.....

Glad you caught it in time!
That scared me. Over the years, I've allowed myself to become blind to the most basic safety rules, and it took a wake up call to jar me into reality. I looked around my shop and quickly realized I've been working inside a bomb. I can't believe I've been so stupid. Just six feet away from the blazing brooder sat six full propane tanks. Around the corner sits seven fuel cans full of gasoline and diesel. My reloading supplies are merely feet away. A Polaris Ranger and a John Deere Gator is parked in the door to the shop. Virtually everything in there is flammable. Needless to say, the brooders will be moved to another building, and all the fuels have been relocated to a covered, but not enclosed shed. What's even worse, there was a brick of 22 shells on the work bench, which would have been a tragic loss.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Things happen Fast!. Went to Garage to light Gas Fish cooker on low, Knock on front door (no one ever goes to front door), Long lost cousin, haven't seen for years. Then Neighbor comes beating at back door, says fire in Garage, small hole in hose ignited burnt hose into, melted regulator next to where it screws in bottle, big flame,melted shut-off valve on bottle, no way to shut off, grabed bottle(stupid but I did it) threw out in yard, finally burned out! Wow! All this and it was settin between my Bass Boat and My Corvette in the garage! Would have been a big gloub of melted Fireglass! Things Happen Fast!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts