1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not everyone's here yet

My sister's youngest, Julie made the event {and was youngest there}

Looking East, {Phoenix isn't far enough away}

It's way to early in the year for this, but it is what it is. Ran over this sidewinder with the truck. Nasty little critters but not as nasty as a Mojave

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mrs. azmick and her cousin, Steve, Back from Afganistan. Says he's going back next month.
I think the most suprising story was the one about the pig roast the had over there. Seems Muslims just call roast pig something else so it's OK to eat it. And "All is forgiven on Friday", Thursday is a free for all, corruption starts at five years old and just gets more expensive. The bribes start with beer, Johnny Walker and 18 years old girls.
In a fire fight, the kids are sent in to pick up brass while it's still hot and more are hitting them on the head. "If you aren't the oldest son, you aren't squat" is the general rule in Afganistan.
If you happen on a IED, you don't stop for the locals. For any reason {see above}.
More in a while

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
Looks like a great time!

I would love to hear more stories from Afghanistan. Are we going to see some in the Lounge?

Please tell Steve his service is very much appreciated!

G

·
0 Posts
Man, were about two weeks from even seeing the ground around here. I measured the snow on the front lawn. Only got 18" more to melt and were home free...

So to say that I'm jealous is a bit of an understatment... ;)

giz

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of the bunch had a tough time getting out of the sack

Now we know why

A nice view from the 'bedroom'

Nobody woke up cranky!

Had a breakfast of chorizo, beans left over from the night before, eggs and bacon all wrapped in a tortilla. Cowboy coffee, OJ, and some had a little 'hair of the dog'. Good friends {that are relatives}, good conversation, catching up on what's new with the family, my brother's cannibal jokes { a must or he would bust open}.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looks like a great place and trip. Would love to be hiking in the desert now.. won't stop raining here for more than 10 minutes it seems.
Where's the gun pics?!
And didn't we once have a coyote competition on the forum? That open playa looks perfect for calling. See any?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And didn't we once have a coyote competition on the forum? That open playa looks perfect for calling. See any
I have been calling in this area on and off for the past three months and have come up empty. Oddly, we saw kit fox here two/three weeks ago. Coyotes kill kit fox every chance they get and seeing a pair makes me think the coyotes have 'moseyed on' to a better hunting area. About a mile down the road, there is a tank about half full with no fresh coyote tracks. Deer, fox, quail and dove tracks in the mud.
About 10 miles East, a couple rabid critters have been found {a fox and a badger}. Arizona Game and Fish tell me there is a herd of big horn that travel from the Estrellas to the mountains seen in some of the pics. Never have seen one out there but a friend has a skull he picked up while wandering in the hills around where we camp. Also, the original Butterfield Stage line ran just a few miles south of there. It was 'the' way to get from Tombstone/Tucson to Los Angeles/San Francisco in 'the day'.
http://www.discoverseaz.com/History/Butterfield.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts