Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this really nice fishing spot on the river by my house. And since 2005 my kids and I have been there a couple dozen times. My kids like it because the pearch, bluegill and largemouth are pretty active most of the day. Kids don't care if the fish are small just as long as they're biting. You can see huge carp that stay near the surface and they will swim up close to you but ignore your line. I also noticed a different looking large fish that would surface quickly and only get glimpses of it. I took one of the small pearch and split it at the head and then down the middle about half way. I threw it out and let it sit on the bottom.

1st time: My pole started sliding towards the water my son noticed it, I set the hook and started to reel. I had it on the line a good 2 minutes got it about four feet from shore. Snap, broke my line, never saw the fish. I had a few choice words.

2nd time: Same bait, different day. My pole was again headed for the water, tried to set he hook and nothing. Bait was gone.

3rd time: Same thing different day. I told my children that were laughing again as it must have been a large snapping turtle.

4th time: Yesterday, my son caught a rather good size pearch. Same bait set up except this time I took my 8 foot salt water pole with 50lb test and a three foot steel leader. First my line went taught, I slowly picked up the pole but he dopped the bait. I reeled it in checked it, still in tact. I threw it out again, an started casting for bass on my light pole. I happened to look down and my line was curling up. I grabbed the pole and waited. I began to slowly reel in the slack, it started to run, I set the hook. Got him, we fought, he surfaced and I saw his mouth. My son yelled "Dad, those are in this river?". He had just watched that show River Monsters this week it was on the gar. I got him about twenty feet from shore and snap my line came flying back in my face. He took everything, the leader, the float, the bait. I had no words, I started packing up our stuff. My kids didn't say anything on the ride home. But when they saw their mom, oh the laughing started.

I'm going to get a bow and shoot any fish I see swimming with a green foam float and a leader hanging out of his mouth. James

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
James,

Great story... :mrgreen:

Su Amigo,
Dave

P.S. Did you get my e-mail?
Keep us upto date on the other...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keith44Spl said:
P.S. Did you get my e-mail?
Keep us upto date on the other...
Yes Sir, and thank you. Definitely want you involved which ever way they decide to go, I will let you know as soon as I find out. James

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Sounds like you need one of those new baits developed by the US Navy to keep Marines from getting too bored .... it's called a Ger-Nade..... :cool:

[youtube:3o8ym6iq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PB2N8NrjAE[/youtube:3o8ym6iq]

The Aussies got it down....

[youtube:3o8ym6iq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSBfULigM4[/youtube:3o8ym6iq]

But the Afghans get Style Points....

[youtube:3o8ym6iq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KVyykFS3dY[/youtube:3o8ym6iq]

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The biggest fresh water fish I have ever seen was an alligator gar out of Lake Texoma. I was about 14 and had never seen a fish that big before. It took two of us to lug him around.

Explosives and fishing...memories.

My grandfather taught me the time honored southern tradition of carbide, a baby food jar and water. I don't remember a lot of fish, but I remember the fun

bob

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would love to shoot a big one of these gars, with my bow.
Steve

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, come on down I'll gladly pay a bounty on this fish :twisted: . If you would like, I don't know where you are in IL, my brother lives in Fairview Heights and is coming down to see us at the end of the month. I can tell him to swing by and pick you up :lol: . I haven't been fishing since, I need to go soon. James

·
Registered
42 Posts
I threw it out again, an started casting for bass on my light pole.
You use a light pole to fish for bass!! That gar shouldn't be a problem! :lol:

·
Registered
415 Posts
James, thanks for the offer but, my sheadual is without voids, right now? We were in San Antonio, Feb. this year, and the trunk of my wife's chevy was so full of guns and hunting gear, I never even considered taking my bow for gar. Guess I had my chance and missed it? Sixgunz(my son) is planing a hog hunt down there next year(2010), maybe then?
Thanks anyway, Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts