Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a good supply of Bullseye powder and a couple of thousand 45 auto 185gr JHP bullets. I decided to put them together as target/plinking loads. Okay, checked the Alliance online load data and it does not list Bullseye for that bullet. Checked the Lyman, Speer, and Hornady manuals and found only one load for the bulet/powder combination. Further research there were no listings for Bullseye with 230 gr JHP. Is it that bullseye is just not commonly used for this, or is there a hazard in the loads I should be aware of?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I don’t know for sure but I suspect that Bullseye is not listed because it such a fine powder. The 45 case is rather large and there could be a detonation problem with the case. When I used to shoot PPC the preferred load was 2.7 gr. of Bullesye and 148 gr HBWC bullet. Even that load gave a few problems because it would settle and the space between the powder and bullet would cause bad results. Also it is easy to double charge with Bullesye because it is so fine.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know for sure but I suspect that Bullseye is not listed because it such a fine powder. The 45 case is rather large and there could be a detonation problem with the case. When I used to shoot PPC the preferred load was 2.7 gr. of Bullesye and 148 gr HBWC bullet. Even that load gave a few problems because it would settle and the space between the powder and bullet would cause bad results. Also it is easy to double charge with Bullesye because it is so fine.
Thanks for the response. I had suspected that there may have been a stability problem in the large case and very small loads. I guess I’ll reserve my BE for 38 spl and 2 swl and use the last of my precious 231 on these!

·
Registered
28,307 Posts
I just loaded some Bullseye under a 200 lead SWC; will see how well it does in the next day or so.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sierra has Bullseye with 185gr JHP listing 4.6gr Starting to 6.5gr Max

230gr listing 4.0gr Starting to 5.3gr Max

·
Registered
21,905 Posts
I use 4.7 gr Bullseye under a 200 Gr LSWC and it is extremely accurate and easy to shoot. As stated above start with the 4,6 and work up to your preferred load.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
FWIW, My very old 45th edition Lyman manual which must be from the mid 70's or so, lists 3.5 - 4.9 grains of Bullseye with a 185 grain Jacketed. Top velocity was listed as 872. My almost equally old Sierra manual goes from 4.2 grains to 5.6 and a velocity of 950 with their 185 JHP. Early '90's Hodgdon manual shows 4.8 to 5.3 grains with a 185 JHP. I use Tite Group and 231 in my .45's and do not push for velocity much over 800fps for target loads. Bullseye is very fast and old lore was it was sensitive to Kabooms due to the large amount of empty space in the .45. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hornady third edition, page 358 (1985) lists 185 gr hollow point at 4.2 gr Bullseye 700fps to 5.3gr 850fps. Page 359 lists Bullseye for 230gr.
FWIW pressures in new powders are higher than old formulas. Could be why no data in new manuals.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
You'll have verify from the old stuff. Way back I believe the standard ball(230 gr) hard ball load was pushed by 5 grs. of Bullseye.

Yep the Military load for 230 gr ball in 45 ACP was BULLSEYE. It is a excellent powder for 45 ACP

Here is some data for the 185 gr bullet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I use 4.7 gr Bullseye under a 200 Gr LSWC and it is extremely accurate and easy to shoot. As stated above start with the 4,6 and work up to your preferred load.
I've been using that same load for about 5 years or so and never had a problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts