Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"In the future any member posting a post involving the use of a carnal verb will be given a temporary, if you are lucky, suspension for a week. We have been more than tolerant but some members are abusing that toleration to continue slipping in content that has no business here. This ends NOW! Either people are going to wise up and stop this from this point on or they will eventually end up gone permanently. We are through playing games on this issue, especially after repeated notices, you are seeing notice has been given, heed it because if a message shows up here with that content again and we see it or it is reported, you will NOT be given a warning from this point on, you will be gone for a week, if not permanently which can be at the discretion of whichever moderator, admin or owner sees it."

We currently have a member on a 7 day suspension because of it happening again with an image involving that word which hopefully will let members here know that we are serious and this is going to end one way or the other.

Another issue that we are seeing is the use of creative spelling. There is no reason at all to type bullsh!t or something similar and think that simply because you found a way around the rules and filters that it is acceptable or will not get trouble for you. It is too easy to find an alternative word like bull stuff or simply BS with everybody knowing the intent meant to play these word games.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Just so we're clear, are you referring to someone using the "F-bomb"?
I don't get it. Why does anyone feel the need to use that kind of language?
There are so many better words...

·
Super Moderator
31,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just so we're clear, are you referring to someone using the "F-bomb"?
I don't get it. Why does anyone feel the need to use that kind of language?
There are so many better words...
That is the one. Here recently we have had a few of the online picture and images making statements included in posts which have that particular word as part. Typical was the image I deleted Saturday with a picture of a sign with this comment in the sign: This week teens are setting the agenda for the country while months ago the press criticized them for eating "self edited carnal verb" tide pods.

I personally have no issue with a link to a story, video or whatever, but let people know that if they open there might be something that might offend some and at least they know what they are getting into if viewing.

·
Super Moderator
31,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the job you do as Moderator - hope none of mine have crossed the line
I have not seen any of yours that did cross the line. We do have members that use common sense and good taste for all practical purposes which is one of the things that is perplexing on having to issue such a warning. I guess it is because you see something, agree with it and don't think twice before posting. Case in point was the image I deleted. I agree wholeheartedly with the message but not how a part of it was worded, and I personally do not know of anybody here who wants to see F-bomb words(to use the common polite way of putting it) popping up because of how often those have been reported even if the staff did not see it beforehand.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
Thanks Wendy for the reminder and Friendly Warning! While I may be thinking it when I am reading what is going on the world I always try to keep it civil when I am posting to the Forum.
Call me Old Fashion that is not the type of language I use around a Lady.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Well....my Granny said that when a person uses cuss words it's because they aren't smart enough to use better words. Me...I have been practicing how to make a person I'm upset/mad at by using ornery words NOT cuss words and it works! My wife was/is my guinea pig and I'm makin progress according to her. Good Heck who'd uh thunk....? Stuff Happens....?

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Well, Diabloman, MY Granny must'a known YOUR Granny! She said just only slightly differently - if you have to use cuss words, you aren't fluent in English. Same end result!

I posted once before - get Paint.net. It's a free download, and it ain't anything close to Photoshop. But you can select a blank area of the picture (rectangle select) then paste it. Once pasted (pert-much anywhere) you can drag the corners this way and that so it blocks out offensive words. Then you can select Text, and type in whatever you think will get the point across without upsetting folks. I fixed a battleship meme that had used the word "ordinance" when it should have used "ordnance". Can you tell? Took maybe 5 minutes and I had no idea how to do it going in.

ordnance.jpg

Here it is with the upper right corner pasted into the flame, and the Text added....

junk.jpg

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I suspect that many of our Grandmothers went to the same school, dated around the turn of the 1900's, slightly before WW One. Mine (a school teacher, at that) said that there was no need to use cuss words. Polite society doesn't stoop to that level.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Well I sure don't want to have to go sit in the corner !

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Pe5fcOhDzf2ou_zJs1EQPAHaE9&pid=Api&P=0&w=249&h=168

Or put on the dunce cap !

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Rnw-cMUumgcHxqQrIFJAwAHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=228&h=172

I think I have been a good boy , but if not sweet Wendy will keep me in line . :p

Thanks for all that you do . Occasionally someone will throw a post on my dailies that doesn't sit too well with me ,
but I usually hesitate to say anything because I figure they will 'get with the program' soon enough .
Now I have a real-time smell tester , with a big stick !

Regards
George - sometimes funny , but usually clean ?

·
Premium Member
16,925 Posts
I remember it was once put as to always write as though your 6 year old child was watching over your shoulder.

Reactions: NWDave

·
Administrator
8,042 Posts
Again, the idea here is to keep it clean enough that someone's grand daughter would be able to read this forum without the grand parents being worried about what was being said.

We just don't need foul language to get the point across.

We, as mods and admins, have pushed this for a while now and for whatever reason certain people are just not listening. This notice is to put it out there for the last time. Break the rules and get suspended.

If you're in the middle of a post and have to stop and consider if a certain word may be considered as foul, I suggest you find a different word.

·
Premium Member
16,925 Posts
We have the biggest, most expressive and incredibly precise language on the face of the earth. I usually find the clean parts suffice to make my thoughts known.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Precise? Not hardly
Orange - do I mean color or fruit
Lead - to be in front or a heavy letal?

And on and on

What some folks find offensive, some find funny. There's always a middle gray ground.
You have posted 3 or 4 times in this thread, basically arguing against the rule or that the rule encompasses some sort of grey area. What the heck! Just obey the rules or pay the price! Pretending you don't know where the line is doesn't cut it. As was posted above, if you have to stop and think about whether or not you have crossed the line the best thing to do is self edit and use a different word. As to the silly word game... Orange a fruit or color etc.. I can't think of any words that would get you banned that fit that category. You say you taught school so you must be smart enough to know what is allowed and what isn't. Its not that hard to figure out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.