Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my 1st edition of the S&W catalog. Now I have all 4 editions. I can't be more pumped to have the full set now.
If I can only be young again, so I could remember all of the stuff I've read in these amazing reference books.
I do find it interesting how much more information is brought forth as each Edition came out.
4 S&W catalogs.jpg

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Doesn't the 4th have all the info from the previous 3?

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't the 4th have all the info from the previous 3?
I really don't know, but it doesn't really matter. I believe there is some information that wasn't carried over from each edition to the other. There may be small changes, but having all 4 editions is just cool!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I really don't know, but it doesn't really matter. I believe there is some information that wasn't carried over from each edition to the other. There may be small changes, but having all 4 editions is just cool!
Agreed. Yes, it is. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
12,678 Posts
I have the 3rd, but having them all would be cool. Just comparing their value estimates an a model from each would reveal trends as to what guns were more popular in the different eras

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Another huge difference is the type and quality of the paper used to print these books. The 1st edition is printed on the older paper, much like a Louis L'amour book. The paper is more coarse and has "personality" like older books from the 50's and 60's has. Also, the entire book is printed in black and white, not a color photo in it at all. And as Jonesy mentioned, the pricing is quite a bit different with each edition.

Many of the photos have changed, and some of the photos used in 1st edition aren't there any longer. On the model 41 in the first edition they list a model with a sliding front sight that was used to increase the sight distance for better target accuracy. That photo is now gone.
The 1st edition also had 5 price categories for each gun, and the 3rd and 4th only list 3 prices for many of the guns.

Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
I only have the 3rd edition. I gave my copy of the 2nd edition to fellow forum member Critter, who by the way I haven't seen here in a very long time. I should call him to see if all is well.

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This past Tuesday I was going through my library here at home and I discovered another copy of the 1st edition S&W catalog. This one is in mint condition, and has never been opened. Now I know I'm not crazy, but I can't recall exactly when I got it.
A couple years ago I bought a bunch of S&W books from a member here, and it might have been part of that purchase. He did throw in a couple of books for free because I bought so many from him. Maybe this was one of them.
At any rate I'm going to part with one of these in the near future. If you may be interested in it, keep your eyes open, my post to part with it may surprise a few of you.

Regards,
Gregory

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Bought a 1st edition on the cheap at a sale a few years ago. Nobody else was interested. Got my copy of the 3rd edition 10 years ago, shortly after joining the forum. It is falling apart from overuse! Time to buy the 4th.

John

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
It's important for any S&W collector to "go to S&W University" courtesy of Jim Supica and Richard Nahas.

In Luger collecting (with all the variations and markings) I always recommend new collectors "go to Luger University" by buying (remarkably expensive) reference books. One of our best references there is $400 new and still in print.

I'll be interested to know if the earlier editions of the catalog have information that was discarded in the later editions. When I bought my 4th edition, I made a gift of the 3rd edition to one of the gun shops that I help out periodically.

Congratulations on a complete set.

·
Super Moderator
32,527 Posts
We no longer have them in book form but we do have the First, Third and Fourth Editions on digital format. We bought the 3rd and 4th when they came out in digital and Internet Archives has the 1st one so it was a free download. Can't seem to find the Second one anywhere.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Alas, I only have the 4th edition. But , the knowledge contained therein is a wonder to me. Of course, with my memory, I have to keep rereading the sections on stocks, named models, numbered models, 10’s, 14’s,15’s, 17’s, 24’s,28’s, etc. ! Always something to read at bedtime. Hank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts