Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Beautiful! Been there, done that. Summer is in full swing down here. Just a few late bloomers still popping up here & there. As soon as the sun begins glaring at us in all its awful majesty, it'll all be over but the shouting.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Thanks for a 'cheering up', Roses!
Today it's cloudy and raining here...those goldfinches are one of my favorites.
Don
;)

·
Super Moderator
10,862 Posts
Love those Lilacs! They are just starting to bud up here. Leaves still aren't fully open yet either.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New little redheaded friend out on the feeder, today.

And on the way to town today, had to wait for a pair of peacocks to cross the road! It was so random. Thought they were wild turkeys until we got closer. LoL. Madison really got a kick out of that! So cute! Quality of pics aren't good, but they were on the move and I was in the jeep. LoL.

I freaking love spring. :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
wildfiresrozes said:
Lilacs are my favorite spring flower/bush! They smell amazing. :D
I remember that smell. When I was a small kid in Eastern Illinois, the old lady who lived next door had a driveway lined with lilacs. The lilacs and the violets all over our yard meant spring to me. (Looking back, that "old lady" probably wasn't that old....)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Beautiful pictures. I can hear Jim Neighbors singing Back Home in Indiana ....heard him at the 1982 Indy 500 !!!!! Have always wanted to go back .

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Very nice, do you have pea fowl runing around wild?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chutch...yeah, I have heard Jim Neighbors a few times. That has been a annual trip for me and my dad since I was 2. Great times, great memories. I think this is the first year that he is not getting his reserved seats. We will still be going to qualifications, though, I am sure.

Hunter...I had never seen them just running wild before. They probably belonged to the farmhouse in that area and were just out for a stroll. It was neat to see!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Saw my first Trilliums of the year today. probably a total of 100 or so, and the peculiar thing is all of them were white. "Calves brain" mushrooms are up in force, they are edible I hear but I've never tried them. I look for morels, I think it was you WFR who had morels in a thread a couple of weeks ago? No sign of any yet, it is early here though. Another week or 2 should bring them out. They are not easy to find here in NH and can be very year to year. At least thats my limited experience. When I do manage to find a few, a trip to a brook becomes the order, for brook trout and morels fried up in cast iron is nothing short of heavenly, a dish of the Gods. I don't think I've ever collected more than a couple of handfuls at once, I've never seen a lot of them in an area. Blacks and yellows only, I've also never seen gray morels here.
I found a good sized patch of lady slippers tonight, just the foliage. That seems unusual, early for them. I am wondering if I have the ID wrong, but I don't think so. I'll stop by the spot a couple more times and see if they spike. We've had one of the very best springs I can remember here, as far as the weather goes. This may be the very best spring during my life, the weather here in mid New England has been really spectacular, as other forum members from around here will no doubt affirm. Absolutely beautiful, this spring will be remembered for a long time no doubt. We'll be talking about it in the old folks home someday.
Critter watching has been above average too. Deer, moose, etc. There are already a few moose with new calves around that I know of. Thats early too. Today I was up on a ridge in a small nearby valley, nothing except trees out there, between 2 towns along a dirt road. A pretty fair sized forest for central NH. I was watching a pair of ravens for about 20 minutes, playing mid air chase, right over my head at tree top level. They knew I was there no doubt but it didn't bother them. They flew around chasing one another, or in vast circles, one going clockwise and the other counter clockwise, and when they would meet one of them would turn upside down in flight and they were kind of grabbing at eachother as they flew by. They were obviously having a lot of fun. Ravens are really interesting birds to observe, with a special intensity in Indian lore that is very interesting, much of it I think is probably true.
I have been listening to Barred owls I can hear up along that ridge, and only just have an idea what 5 acre piece their nest probably is in. Its new turf for me this spring and what I should do is find an area to set up in and call with a squeaker, that or just use an entire can of deep woods off on myself and take a slow morning long hike. To find owls, locate the area they consistantly call at sunset from, then take a very slow and quiet walk in to the area during the day. In general an owl will leave the nest at about sunset, and will usually first perch on a favorite nearby limb, and vocalize a few calls. Maybe for several minutes. They will usually be within sight of their nest. A small pair of binoculars can be a tremendous help. Pay attention to the trees, and look for a tree with a lot of white droppings on the trunk or bottom limbs or both. They can't digest the bones and fur of their prey, and these they throw up in the form of pellets, which you should find on the ground under the tree. Pick them apart with sticks, and you will find intact skulls of mice and other small creatures, moles, shrews, etc.

The black flies are out in force here. I think even they are early too.
Ok my rant is over. Ahhh, spring!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts