Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
This idiot seller should be avoided like the plague....

"Very rare nickel finished Model 28. This gun appears to be factory original....."? The only factory nickle 28's I've ever seen that were documented were "brushed" nickle.

Instant Collectible; Just Add Internet..... :roll:

If that gun was correct, the seller's reserve would be $2K higher, and you can be assured that it would be accompanied by a factory letter.

Note not one bid at $600.

Whatta Bozo....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hey guys, check out this factory nickel model 28 I just picked up for a song...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I sent the seller a CAUTION on how he should be careful how he advertises this and make the potential buyer aware that it is a re-finish. Probably won't help, but.....................

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
here's hoping!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dick,

Sellers of this sort couldn't care less and are hoping for a newbie or a rube buyer. Then they sweat out the 3 day inspection period (if they offer one) and then if they get caught at the fraud, they do their flat, level best to jam up the buyer and crawfish on the deal.

I've seen it a million times and it's the reason I never buy on Internet auctions and rarely buy from people I don't know to be honorable.

There is a local shop here in Southern Maine that has just hired a new guy who is Internet savvy, and thinks he knows his stuff about guns. I said "He Thinks". I've been doing alot of business with this shop since it opened years ago, and my Dad hunts with the Owner's Dad.
However, of late, this new genius has decided to start listing guns on auction sites to 'widen their market'. So be it. It's their shop and I just deal with it. Some times I still score there, because of their ignorance, but they don't get anymore 'helpful hints' or free history lessons from me anymore. Period.

So last Friday night I dropped by as I had heard they got a load of powder & primers in. While I was scouring the Smith case, I spotted a blued N-Frame. Looking it over, without saying a word, it became pretty obvious that it was a refinished Franken-gun. The clerk was hovering over me to hopefully hear what I had to say... meanwhile, Mr. Internet chimes in from across the shop, "Hey Drew, you gonna buy that gun?"..... I reply "Maybe, Why?".... he says to me, "Well I just wanna know because I've got it listed on-line"..... So I ask the pushy jackass in a voice loud enough for God himself to hear.... "Did you list it as a Reblued Parts Gun?".... I thought the face was gonna fall off his head. I then pushed the gun back across the counter and with an evil look in my eye and said, "But Hell, I could be wrong....."

After regaining his composure, Mr. Internet puffs up his chest and says.... "Don't matter.... someone will buy it.....".

G

·
0 Posts
Have been very tempted to buy some over the interent. But trusting sellers is very hard to do. And being more ignorant than others about firearms, i stick with shooter grade and functional. Otherwise i know my posterior would be handed to me in a trade.

That being said, there are a few models i would like that are hard to come buy in your day to day activities. Still looking for a k22 sometime or a smith 1917 revolver. k22 can be found at shows, but everyone wants an arm, leg and your first born. 1917's are harder to find than that.

would trust jackthedog. he lives about an hour away. never met him or purchased form him. but outstanding reputation on auction arms.

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
Greg, I feel much the same way. Since I have not done the homework needed on guns, to buy collecter guns intelligently, I don't buy guns to collect. I buy nice guns....to shoot them, and use them as intended, when they were designed and built.

"A man has to know his limitations!" ;) Bob

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
While I continue my search for a S133XXX-S134XXX HP, I find those nickel HPs being relisted quite often. To say the dealers that list them are less than truthful in their add is being, well, , less than truthfull. I kind of feel sorry for anyone that takes the bait on one but, as said, do your home work before hitting the 'submit bid' button. It is suprising to me that the feed back on these crooks is as good as it is. Makes me wonder if 'the taken' never got a clue or are too embarassed to admit it. Of course the chrome hammers and triggers are a blaring siren to us but guns denuded of original grips {and then listed on E-Bay}with 'factory' goodyears replacing them are almost the norm any more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bob K said:
Greg, I feel much the same way. Since I have not done the homework needed on guns, to buy collecter guns intelligently, I don't buy guns to collect. I buy nice guns....to shoot them, and use them as intended, when they were designed and built.

"A man has to know his limitations!" ;) Bob

I also feel the same way. Therefore, I have focused the bulk of my collection around 99% guns which were fired very little, with one exception being a 3.5" pre 27 which was about 90%. I take good care of my guns, but I want to shoot them. Therefore, buying NIB doesn't make sense for me.

It really is too bad that there are sheisters out there misrepresenting what they sell. I have been really lucky that I found a couple of individuals early on who were good sellers. I've tended to stick with them as I build my "collection" and knowledge. They've given fair price and fair assessment of the goods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts