Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I can speculate. S&W had Model 10's with D series serials but that wasn't until 1968. They often used whatever boxes were on hand to ship guns. Perhaps your Grandad sent a Model 10 to them for some repair work in that box because it is unlikely they shipped a Model 10 to him in that box. Is the handwriting the same?

I have seen some shorthand codes that were written on the box by the distributor or retailer that provided pricing information.

S&W didn't write the frame designation on the box. But they did often write N or Nickel and B or Blue on them.
I will try to send you pictures of the box. The graphics on the ends of the box say NICKEL FINISH, so I'm pretty sure the penciled N is the frame designation. My 357 was a big gun.....despite only a 3 1/2" barrel.
Finger Font Thumb Material property Debit card
Handwriting Rectangle Gadget Audio equipment Font
Grey Wood Handwriting Rectangle Font

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Folks.....it's been a while. Still trying to find a S&W 1955 model 27, 357mag, polished nickel, 3 1/2" barrel. Mine was absolutely perfect. I'm not sure Paw-paw ever fired it. There was no scoring on the cylinder at all. I know it will be big money.......I get that. Mine was serial S138711, produced early '55. I still have the original box with that serial written on the bottom.

· Registered
18,087 Posts
Hi Folks.....it's been a while. Still trying to find a S&W 1955 model 27, 357mag, polished nickel, 3 1/2" barrel. Mine was absolutely perfect. I'm not sure Paw-paw ever fired it. There was no scoring on the cylinder at all. I know it will be big money.......I get that. Mine was serial S138711, produced early '55. I still have the original box with that serial written on the bottom.
So, are you trying to find that particular gun, or one just like it. A few months ago I got a gun on Gun broker that fits your description except that it was shipped in 1960.
Here are pictures of mine
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Revolver
Table Wood Rectangle Grass Flooring

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, are you trying to find that particular gun, or one just like it. A few months ago I got a gun on Gun broker that fits your description except that it was shipped in 1960.
Here are pictures of mine
View attachment 580453 View attachment 580454 View attachment 580455
Not likely to ever get mine back. Stolen from a second home of mine, on lake property in a small town NC. I am not there often. They broke into my next door neighbor as well and took only a new bottle of Crown Royal. The houses in this neighborhood are only 30 feet or so apart. The punk probably sold the gun the next day. Would love to find another one, same model, nice condition......mine was perfect. Based on serial number it was produced in early '55. However some guns in that serial range weren't shipped until '57-'58. A real nice S&W nickel 357, 3.5" barrel would make me feel a lot better if I could get one.
It's a 5 inch, but it's probably pretty close to yours otherwise.

Gorgeous!

· Super Moderator
16,057 Posts
Did you do a police report? If not, you could still file one - and I would recommend it since firearm serial numbers go into the NCIC system and that can help with recovery of them. You have the box, and the exact description and serial number of the firearm that was lost.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Did you do a police report? If not, you could still file one - and I would recommend it since firearm serial numbers go into the NCIC system and that can help with recovery of them. You have the box, and the exact description and serial number of the firearm that was lost.
I did file a report with that local police dept. I will follow up to see where that went.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
21 - 30 of 30 Posts