Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. New to the forum. S&W 357 mag, nickel, 3 1/2" barrel. This gun came in a gold box with blue lettering. On the bottom of the box it shows these numbers.....S138711, and D1722. Both are hand written. What is the manufacture year for this pistol? This gun "mysteriously disappeared". I still have the box, and would love to find another CORRECT pistol to go in it. My gun was absolutely perfect. Any help?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'm confused. If you bought the gun in the box, you know when it was made in 1955.
Thanks Wiregrassguy. This gun was passed down to me from my Grandfather. He was the original owner. Relative to 1955......that's when I was born, which makes me want to replace it even more.
I was pretty sure it was from the fifties from the research I've done. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did the boxes still have the serial number mark in pencil on the bottom in 1955?

Jim
Don't know Jim. It looks like black wax pencil or black crayon. And there is an N marked on each end of the box. The blue box guns I've seen have all that info marked on a label on the end of the box. This is the only gold box gun I've ever seen.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More than likely 1955 with that s/n. The closest N frame I have to yours is a .38/44 s/n S1096xx. It shipped Jan 1955.

View attachment 499972
S&W wrote 2 numbers on the bottom of the GOLD box back in the fifties. S138711 which I believe is the serial number, and D1722. What is D1722? They also marked an N on each end of the box which I believe is the frame designation. All of the markings are in a black grease pencil. Looks like a black crayon. I'm just confused what the D1722 means. Too short to be a serial number.

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Guy, can you tell me what the D1722 represents?
S&W wrote 2 numbers on the bottom of the GOLD box back in the fifties. S138711 which I believe is the serial number, and D1722. What is D1722? They also marked an N on each end of the box which I believe is the frame designation. All of the markings are in a black grease pencil. Looks like a black crayon. I'm just confused what the D1722 means. Too short to be a serial number.
I can speculate. S&W had Model 10's with D series serials but that wasn't until 1968. They often used whatever boxes were on hand to ship guns. Perhaps your Grandad sent a Model 10 to them for some repair work in that box because it is unlikely they shipped a Model 10 to him in that box. Is the handwriting the same?

I have seen some shorthand codes that were written on the box by the distributor or retailer that provided pricing information.

S&W didn't write the frame designation on the box. But they did often write N or Nickel and B or Blue on them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts