Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor wants me to buy her 357, stainless, 4" barrel, Model 586 (no dash) 6 shot and I want to pay her a fair price. The revolver was a service revolver and show some holster wear at the muzzle. SN is ACJxxxx marked on the frame and butt. 80-90% would be my guess. Would anyone be willing to give me an approximate year of Mfg and value?
thanks,
bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
Hello, Bob in Vegas. Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That appears to be a nickel plated M586 no dash from 1985. Stainless would be a M686. The 586/686 no dash and -1 engineering versions were recalled by S&W because blowback from firing could cause the hammer nose to stick in the hammer nose bushing, thus disabling the revolver. S&W modified many guns and overstamped an M in the yoke area to indicate the modification was completed. So, there should be a large M stamped over or near the model number in the yoke cut if this gun was modified. Not to worry if it is not there because the particular ammo that caused this issue is no longer made. Gun values vary by region. These models have been selling in the $650 to $800 range, but YMMV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that information. It does have an N on the butt next to the SN. An an M in the yoke area. Glad to know that. Also, thanks for the value info. She will be happy!
So will I as I'll have a new gun!
Man do these ever have a smooth and easy trigger pull. Can't wait to fire if I can find Ammo!
bob :)

·
Administrator
8,415 Posts
Congratulations! I think you'll be very happy with it!

·
Registered
15,064 Posts
Very nice! I have a 4 inch 686 about the same age. I think $700 is a good 'Neighbor" price. A gun shop would give her $400-425 and price it at $800-850, but they have to make a living too

·
Super Moderator
35,073 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Fine L-Frame Smith that you have there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts