Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a mixed bag of semi-auto pistols that he wants some extra mags for. He came to me for a recommendation of a good aftermarket brand but I couldn't help him. I prefer to spend a little extra dinero for an OEM mag for the few semis that I own. I have heard of Mec-Gar and ProMag but that's about it. Can anyone help out? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Hey 51,

For the 1911, there are the WILSON magazines...........far SUPERIOR to all others.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Reactions: 5150

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Mec Gar is the OEM for many firearm makers, SW included,

For 1911 as mention Wilson Combat

It depends on what guns??

For Rugers, Ruger mags seems to be the best.

Never owned a Pro Mag, don't think I ever will based on what I have read,

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mec Gar is the OEM for many firearm makers, SW included,

For 1911 as mention Wilson Combat

It depends on what guns??

For Rugers, Ruger mags seems to be the best.

Never owned a Pro Mag, don't think I ever will based on what I have read,
Thanx for the tip on Wilson Combat. The only semis I own are the S&W 669 and 39-2, and the Ruger MARK III, P85 and P90. My extra mags for all five of them are the older/vintage OEM kind. I have heard mixed reviews about ProMag so I'll pass that along.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
I'll add that I have not heard good things about ProMag in general, though some of their stuff does work. I would be careful if choosing them. GunMagwarehouse usually has a good selection at decent prices....much below buying direct from Ruger/sig or whoever

·
Registered
28,307 Posts
Hey 51,

For the 1911, there are the WILSON magazines...........far SUPERIOR to all others.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark
Chip McCormick mags are also a good brand
MEC-GAR makes the OEM mags for the majority of gun makers in the world.

Reactions: 5150 and msharley

·
Banned
696 Posts
I guess I'll chime in on Mec Gar also, been using their stuff in their name and with several manufacturers logos on them as well, if their magazine isn't working, look at the gun first! Acti-Mag is either another brand or a sub of Mec Gar, but they are nice, and my favorite 8 rd .45 mag. Pro Mag has one or two designs that happen to generally work, and quite a few that generally don't, or fail pretty early. Is USA magazine still around?

·
Registered
301 Posts
MecGar is one of the best mag companies out there for most semi-auto models.
A good rule of thumb when looking for mags is to start by trying to find OEM mags. New ones can be high but good used ones are out there. The classifieds on sites like this often have ads offering mags for sale.
I also use Greg Cote, LLC and CDNN as sources for mags. Both have good selections and are pretty quick in filling orders and getting them to you.
On the other side, Pro Mag and Triple K tend to have a reputation for spotty reliability. But there are guns out there you can't find new mags for(S&W 2nd and 3rd gen), but Pro Mag still offers them.
You spend alot of cash on a fine firearm but it can be an expensive paperweight without a reliable mag. If I can't get a factory mag I look for MecGar. That's all I will use.

Reactions: 5150

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MecGar is one of the best mag companies out there for most semi-auto models.
A good rule of thumb when looking for mags is to start by trying to find OEM mags. New ones can be high but good used ones are out there. The classifieds on sites like this often have ads offering mags for sale.
I also use Greg Cote, LLC and CDNN as sources for mags. Both have good selections and are pretty quick in filling orders and getting them to you.
On the other side, Pro Mag and Triple K tend to have a reputation for spotty reliability. But there are guns out there you can't find new mags for(S&W 2nd and 3rd gen), but Pro Mag still offers them.
You spend alot of cash on a fine firearm but it can be an expensive paperweight without a reliable mag. If I can't get a factory mag I look for MecGar. That's all I will use.
I don't mind shelling out a bit more dinero for an original (vintage?) magazine. Since I'm primarily a revolver guy, I only have maybe four or five semis to worry about. And this is just one more advantage with revolvers. Since my buddy is the one originally asking about the aftermarket mags, I'll pass this along.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts