Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of your guns have a better story then you do... ;)

This No.1 has been to the Dark Continent and back. And responsible for some mounts that still have not made it back to the USA after almost 2 years. Wish it had been me that made that trip of a lifetime, but it belonged to another gent...for the life of me ~ I cannot understand why he would ever part with it. That said, it is no secret that my favorite caliber is .243. And that I tend to collect the best guns made in that caliber. In my small pea-brain...it is the only caliber that I need.

I have just rescoped it this day. Put on a Nikon with the BDC long range hunting reticle. The gun is now retired, with only some varminting work to be done.

Drew chides me about my grail guns, but that is mostly in the revolvers ;) Truth be told I'm a rifleman and this is truly a grail gun to me. Due to the caliber, the designer, and the history. And simply, the eloquence of the Ruger No. 1...

Not my best picture, but.....

Funny, but I'm jealous of my own gun... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
592 Posts
That is a beauty!
Also, did you ever have a chat with Wickahoney (Ross Thomas) from the 'old forum'? He's a fanatic about Ruger #1s and a very knowledgeable resource, besides being a gentleman with great stories. I have tried to get him over here but haven't seen him yet. I think you guys might have a lot to talk about.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I think the .243 is a sleeper cartridge, it really doesn't get the credit it deserves, I feel its one of those do all cartridges. With proper placement it will drop most game, and can be souped up for long range varmint with out burning up the barrel. I'm seriously thinking of getting one of the new 77's LH in .243.

Leighton

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leighton,

Much as I love Ruger rifles...I'd hint that you try to find a older Model Seven Remington. One of the earlier ones with the steel floorplates. If anyone asked me what my idea of a perfect hunting rifle was...I'd say it was that one...there just isn't any downside.

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
longarm said:
That is a beauty!
Also, did you ever have a chat with Wickahoney (Ross Thomas) from the 'old forum'? He's a fanatic about Ruger #1s and a very knowledgeable resource, besides being a gentleman with great stories. I have tried to get him over here but haven't seen him yet. I think you guys might have a lot to talk about.
Dan,

I remember Ross from his Highlonesome days.... I corresponded with him intermittently over the years.... Quite a guy with many interesting stories.... remember the one about the Chickens and Socks..... ? :lol:

I do so hope Ross shows up here...

I rather like the Ruger Single Shots and they are one of the few facsimiles that come close to the legend of their progenitor... the Farquharson Singles were truly spectacular rifles and considered the pinnacle of the singles around the turn of the last century.... today, I think that the No.1 and to a lesser degree the No.3 have surpasses the British guns in reputation....

Oh and you can trust Giz when he says he's a rifleman.... I've seen the lad shoot... he's almost as good as I am..... (or was.... :lol: ).

Drew

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drew,

It's all in the showmanship. I still enjoy shooting my flintlock rifles against the scoped Bushmasters. :mrgreen: No-one will believe me when I say I've shot some tiny 100 yard groups with my Squirrel Gun....accept you. ;)

Thanks for the good words, Amigo...made my day.

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
GIz, The Seven would be nice, but it doesn't come in southpaw. Hench the 77, all the new LH models are really nice.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Giz
Nice rifle I have been shooting .243 win's since 1970. I purchased my first .243 in 1970. I still have it. Now I have five rifles in .243. It's all about shot placement. I dropped some big game kritters with a .243. I have a ruger No1 but I feel the No1 is a better rifle suited for larger calibers. The No1 I have is a .458. The No1 has a very strong action probably one of the stronger actions built. The .243 is a nice long range flat shooter.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gizamo said:
Drew,

It's all in the showmanship. I still enjoy shooting my flintlock rifles against the scoped Bushmasters. :mrgreen: No-one will believe me when I say I've shot some tiny 100 yard groups with my Squirrel Gun....accept you. ;)

Thanks for the good words, Amigo...made my day.

giz
You earned it Brother.... I've never seen anyone shoot a muzzle-loader as well as you... that Squirrel Gun would make a peach of a sniper out to a hundred yards with you on the trigger...

Drew

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
I think the .243 is a sleeper cartridge, it really doesn't get the credit it deserves
The 243 is a 'go to gun' here in Az. 85 to 100 grain bullets on mulies, antelope and coyotes. Even more popular than the 25-06 for antelope in many circles.

Giz, I'd like a No. 1 someday. There is just something about that rifle that makes my socks go up and down. Had a chance at one in 357 Magnum {special run for the CHP} a few years back. The guy that bought it had it rebarreled for 500 S&W.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The # 1 is a great rifle I have taken my favorite one on many Safaris as a plains game rifle. I remember one hunter I shared an air charter with thinking I was crazy bringing a single shot and a double rifle. He had several rifles and an unbelievable amount of ammo in fact he had to pay for an extra charter to bring in all of his gear. He stayed in touch with me after the hunt and later admitted my approach made more sense he had his safari arranged by a gunsmith who sold him all this extra equipment.

I like heavier calibers as some plains game are quite large my favorite # 1 is in a 338 wildcat cartridge I designed over 30 years ago it pushes a 250 grain bullet at 3,000 fps. I draw the line at single shots on dangerous game as I want to be in control of the situation and a quick second shot can be important.

Len

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Back in the mid to late 1970's. If you took a nice new big game rifles to Africa. The guides or ranch owners would want those rifles. At the time they were in demand. The first time I went on a big game trip. The rifles I had I did not part with. However on the later trips. I always took two new top shelf M70's or Remingtons and traded them. Heck I would take orders. I would ask them. What rifles and caliber would you like me to bring next time. They paid crazy prices. I would just trade them for the hunt. I gave them my rifles. And and paid no fee for the hunt. Those were the days. Back then it was $500 a day for food lodging and hunting. I usually stayed at least seven to ten days. It all worked out well for me.
Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts