Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happen to know where there's a couple of nice sixguns, but I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get them. They are a Ruger Security six, 4" barrel, blue finish, and a Ruger Speed Six, Stainless, both 357 Mags. I know this is an S&W Forum, and there's my dilemma, I've got 2 2 1/2" 66's, a 65 3", and 2 4" 19's (Not to mention other Smiths). In other words, no holes for the Rugers to fill other than just to have something different. They'll be used for trips to the range, maybe a little carry in the yard (snakes and such), and that's about it. Prices are good. I've decided to ask y'all and live with the advice of the majority. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
IMOH, If they are a good value for your money you can't go wrong buying a couple of Ruger's.
They are well built, reliable, and as with any handgun fun to shoot.
If you need to convince yourself that you need them, you probably don't.
But I'd still get them, You can always sell them later. Possibly for more than you pay for them too. Win, win either way.

Let us know what you decide. (With pictures) , lol

·
Administrator
8,192 Posts
If I found a good deal on those two models and had the extra money, I wouldn't hesitate to get them..

·
Super Moderator
11,058 Posts
Since it seems to going your way, I'll be the dissenting voice. :D
However, you should ignore my answer as it is based purely on a bias I have.

I have never found Ruger centerfire revolvers to be appealing. They just don't look right to me. Even before I became a Smith fan, I just never warmed to those Ruger round guns.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Forester said:
Since it seems to going your way, I'll be the dissenting voice. :D
However, you should ignore my answer as it is based purely on a bias I have.

I have never found Ruger centerfire revolvers to be appealing. They just don't look right to me. Even before I became a Smith fan, I just never warmed to those Ruger round guns.
You and me both brother. ;)

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Well, I'm a Smith and Wesson fan through and through, but I do have a few Colts and Rugers. In particular I have one of the first stainless Security Sixes that came out. It has a six inch barrel, but I have several S&W 357's with 6 inch barrels.

Why do I keep it? Because it is a shooter and a gun that gets a little roughed up now and then, which I wouldn't want to see my pretty S&W's take.

Variety is the spice of life, they say, and if you have the money and the inclination, for what it's worth, I'd advise you to get them.

Hank

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
I have only S&W handguns in my meager 'collection'. There are some shooters, and some keepers, but I use them all for what they were built for.......shooting. No reason to baby them all!

I use all of my guns...... rifles, shotguns ,and revolvers........ just be careful with them, and clean them after every use. I don't buy another brandjust to use.

I spend far more on a new pick-up truck, but that doesn't keep me from off-road driving. I accept the fact that it will get alittle abuse......that's what they're made for.

If saving everything, so you get a higher dollar amount when you sell it, keeps you from using it the way that you will enjoy having it.......then I don't buy it in the first place!!!! ;) Bob

G

·
0 Posts
While the Ruger Speed and Security Six will not win any beauty contests...they are certainly going to take the prize in durability. I've got a PPC gun based on a Security Six that must have more rounds through it then any gun ever should. Still locks up tight and functions flawlessly.

Pretty is one thing, reliability is another. I'll take reliability and strength any day...

giz

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
Yeah but Giz....... do you really subject your handguns to so much abuse? I could understand....... if you wanted to shoot heavy handloads.... but, most people don't! I, for one, don't need anything stronger than a good K-frame S&W. I shoot only factory loads.....and not the real heavy ones, either. The most potent factory .357 load that I use, is a moderate, 158 gr 1200 fps in my M-66. I hardly shoot more than a box per year.

As most shooters here agree.......that ain't nothin'!!!! ;) Bob

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Gizamo said:
While the Ruger Speed and Security Six will not win any beauty contests...they are certainly going to take the prize in durability. I've got a PPC gun based on a Security Six that must have more rounds through it then any gun ever should. Still locks up tight and functions flawlessly.

Pretty is one thing, reliability is another. I'll take reliability and strength any day...

giz
Giz While I some what agree with you, I still can't get past the hairy arm pits and mustache.
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
You've got to give the Rugers this: They're strong, strong, strong.
For a pure shooter, I think everybody should consider a Ruger D.A. revolver.
2345ll
Don

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Dang, it's killin' me to have to agree with both sides of this discussion! I personally think the DA Rugers are as ugly as Fido's behind! But I do like their single actions. I only have the one Birdshead in .45 Colt and love it. All Rugers are pretty much bullet proof. My advice would be if you are getting them at a real good price, buy them, shoot them, and if you like 'em, keep 'em....if not, sell them at a profit and buy a Smith! 2345ll

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Looks like I'll be gettin me a couple more Rugers. This won't be my first foray to the other side. I've got a few of their single actions, and some Colts as well, it's just that Smith rules my collection by a WIDE margin. I'm not very computer literate, so if someone can post some directions, I'll try to post some pics of my stuff some time. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
33,397 Posts
You will never regret getting a Ruger(or two). Not quite as polished and smooth as a Smith, but still they are great shooters. I have two and they are two of my favorites. The trigger pull on a new one may be gritty, and that smooths out after some shooting, but since the ones you are considering are not new they probably had pretty good triggers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have Ruger Sixes and S&Ws, and while I prefer the S&Ws, the Sixes are darned fine revolvers and very rugged to boot. If you are able, but them both. You will not be disappointed and you can always sell them in the future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'll say what everyone else says - that the Speed Six and Security Six weren't as "refined" as a S&W, but they were good revolvers. Remember they don't make them anymore. If the price is right, snatch them up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts