Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my hands on an older Rem 870 Riot gun, police dept marked. I got to thinking that it'd be cool to make sort of a three gun set using it and a revolver but I have no idea what kind of rifles most police used around the late 60's on through around 1980. That's pretty much the era the shotgun would have served in and where most of my revolvers come from. Any suggestions for what kind of rifle might round out my set? I'd much prefer wood stock to any kind of plastic. Not an AR basher, just my preference. This won't be for Competition, just my own fun. Thanks

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Askins writes of using Remington Model 14's, Winchester 1910 .351's and even '03 Springfields.... but that was in the 1930's.... in 1979 there could easily have been an Colt SP1 in .223 in the tire well.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
I would think that a good old .30-30 Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 would have been carried years ago by law enforcement officers out west. Both are the original assault rifle......short, lightweight, just handy to have around in the trunk. ;) Bob

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
I can't speak for any department issue, but in the era you speak of, it
wasn't uncommon to see an officer's M-1 Carbine in the trunk of his
unit. I had one as did my next door neighbor who was a Florida Marine Patrol officer.

Road-blocks were interesting, as it was surprising some of the unauthorized weapons that would suddenly appear out of trunks or from under the seat.

As Drew mentioned the old Winchester 1907 SL in 351 caliber was a popular LE weapon from a bygone era.

I swaped for one at a gunshow and took it to the range where it was somewhat of a curiosity. Most officers had never heard of it. But with a 10 shot magazine and 180 grain 351 bullets it was a potent piece of ordnance.

Mini-14's and AR-15's soon replaced the carbines. The department did issue a AR-180 that could be fired both semi and fully automatic. But that was for special ops.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Some M-1 carbines were carried in the late 60's early 70 by some officers on different departments. They were generally replaced by the Mini-14 or the AR over time.

Most departments never allowed their officers to carry rifles. If you wanted to carry a long gun it would be a shotgun period. tnbtlaa
Some SWAT officers were allowed to carry their rifles while on patrol but their use was restricted unless it was an actual SWAT callout.

Patrol rifles in the hands of field patrol officers are the direct the result of 9-11 and the Columbine high school shooting. Most current patrol rifles will be the AR.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Well seeing I expounded somewhat on the Winchester 351 Self Loader, I guess I
oughta show some of the younger forum members what one looks like.

This Winchester Model of 1907 was of course a semi-automatic rifle firing a 180 grain bullet at a velocity of 1700 to 1800 fps. As mentioned earlier in the post
a big favorite of lawmen, like Col. Charles Askins during the 1930's.

If you'll notice the bullets at the bottom of the picture the larger ones are 351 and the smaller 110 grain, 30 cal. carbine rounds.

This expanded view of the 351 shows the loading lever under the barrel with a finger piece attached to the end. That was used to charge the rifle with the first round.

It was of some interest to me to find out that some of these guns were used by early world war one pilots, who used them to shoot at enemy scout planes before
the advent of arming aircraft with machine guns.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm gonna have to find a pre-Ranch Rifle Mini-14 or an M1 Carbine (or both :)). I was kind of afraid that general issue of patrol rifles was a modern thing but like some posts mentioned I kind of figured that some officers brought their own too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
*******, M58 is quite right about departments restricting rifles, in the time period you are discussing. The chief law enforcement officer was concerned about liability, once a police officer fires a bullet, the department owns it -"IF", it is authorized by the department.

If not authorized, the officer owns it. Meaning he will have to hire his own lawyer, etc, if it hits an innocent.

Some officers on the street were more concerned with survival, than
liability, I would think rural officers far from backup would be a good canidate for having a rifle.

So some officers did carry their own M-1 Carbine, but our issue long gun was the Ithaca Police Special shotgun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting mention TripleLock. My area is quite rural, as I'm a LONG way from Chicago. Too bad I don't know any older LEO's from around here, I'd ask them what was common. I know our county sherriff's dept issues Rem 870's adn has for at least 20 years.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I can say for sure that 30 years ago my department did not allow officers to even have their own in a town car. It was in the SOP that you needed the Chief's permission to bring a rifle to a crime scean. Else where in the state may have been different, In the 1950s I was told of one officer involved shooting with Win 94 30-30 that rode in a scabboard on the inside of the driver's door. I know of another town officer who bought a m1 carbine when they were $20 and used it in felony type stops in the 1960's

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd like to recommend a Model 1892 Carbine in .357 Magnum. Very handy lever gun and very popular, especially in the Western US all way up until the 1930's. The Rossi-made 92's slick-up nicely and are very accurate up to about 150 yards or so. One cartridge for the service revolver and the rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.