Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after Christmas last year, my cousin got a dog. Her name is Bandit and she is a 2 year old Akita. He got her from the SPCA. She had been rescued from a breeding mill about a month earlier. When he brought her home she weighed 58 pounds, had a couple spots itched bare, ribs showing and was a broken dog. Here she is the first day home.
2020-04-09_14-12-07_800.jpg

My cousin drives truck for a company hauling waste from a couple tracking sites. He works late afternoon until early morning, usually 10 to 12 hours. I agreed to go over as needed to take Bandit out.
My cousin embarked on a campaign to fix Bandit. Every day he takes her on a back road where he hangs into the retractable leash while Bandit runs along beside. She can stop and sniff, or run full speed, whatever she wants. They started off at a mile, but have worked up to 2 miles a day , every day rain or shine. He also had her on a rich, all she wanted to eat diet. She is up to 96.5 pounds, all muscle.
Last night about 11:30 I took the 4 minute drive to take Bandit out. We went on one of our usual routes, down the road, up the driveway to an abandoned camp, and across the field to home.
As we left the driveway and entered the field we passed an wood pile. As we rounded the wood pile, Bandit had just passed by me and I saw her strike at something. Yelled NO, tried pulling her back while also trying to get the flashlight on what she had. Caught a quick glimpse of black fur & a white stripe and got other hand in rope to pull her back. The good sharp jerk on her cooler made Bandit lose her grip on the skunk, and it hasn't spray, but dang that dog was strong and committed. The skunk hit the ground and got about 3 feet before Bandit lunged again. This time I was pulled off my feet. I retained my grip on both the leash and flashlight and was laying face down on the ground. My fall had given the dog just enough slack to grab the skunk, and there it was, less than 5 feet from me. As I was regaining my feet, trying to back away and pull dog all at the same time, I saw her give the skunk a good shake.......and right then, it let loose! The skunk went flying, the dog seemed stunned, I'm yelling NOoooooooo, and time stood still, just for a second.
The dog was sneezing and coughing but started out in the direction the skunk had flown. By now, I was on my feet and moving away from the dog, but still retained the leash & light, so I began to drag the dog away from the area. She still wanted to get that skunk!
On the 200 yard walk back home she kept rubbing her face on the grass the whole way. I tied her out front, got on my phone in search of a remedy. Found reference to a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda & dish soap will neutralize the smell. I called my wife to say I wouldn't be home in a few minutes like I usually am. I had her round up the needed supplies. Meanwhile I called my cousin. He said he couldn't get home for a couple hours . I quickly went home to get baking soda & peroxide and a bucket. It was only about 37 degrees out but I had to work outside. I scrubbed the mixture in her and let it sit for a few minutes. After a rinse she was better but still rank. I mixed up a quarter box of baking soda in warm water and scrubbed again. Next I used dog shampoo, followed by a couple more baking soda & water scrub downs. By now the water was freezing and it was down to 30 degrees. Bandit didn't seem bad once I got her toweled off, so I brought her in and crated her. I was pretty well exhausted and definitely needed a shower. Finally got to bed at 3:30 am.
This is Bandit now that she is healthy, but before the skunk adventure
2020-05-14_00-13-58_460.jpg

Someday I'll tell you about the possum she found

·
Registered
15,471 Posts
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Hey Jonesy,

Oooooooooooh!

The "Black & White Kitty" stories!!

Bumper crop of the "B&W Kitty Kats" down my way! Used to be near to $70/hide, so they were....

Glad everyone is alright. Hopefully no rabies....(2x Dang)

Later, Mark

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
You certainly earned some good karma points. Glad you did not get hit too. Haven't tried it, but I have read several times that a tomato juice bath works fairly well to eliminate skunk odor.

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
An Akita is a very strong and assertive dog - especially when it wants something...

About 25 years ago, my dog came across a white striped kitty across the street at the neighbor's house. He took it full on in his rear hind quarters, and he smelled from it for about 5 months after (even after a thorough cleaning).

About 5 years ago, my dogs came across a rattlesnake in the back woods behind my house. They "wanted" it more than anything. I got them both away from it, fetched a shotgun, and by the time I got back, no rattlesnake...

They also like rocks that smell funny and move (turtles)...

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have been pretty busy since the skunk encounter with funeral preparations & service for my mom. My cousin had taken a couple nights off so I didn't have to worry about dealing with the dog. He sent me a text yesterday saying I had done a good job and the dog didn't stink. Went over to visit my cousin and Bandit this evening and sure enough no odor! He thanked me a dozen times for washing Bandit because arriving home at 3:30 am after 11 hours that would be the last thing he wanted to deal with. He also had a couple requests for the de-skunking formula.
Here it is
1 quart of fresh, unopened Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
Tbl spoon dish soap
Mix in a bucket and work into dogs coat and leave it for 5 minutes. Don't go longer, it can burn the skin. Rinse well.
Don't store the solution in a closed bottle or it will build pressure and explode
I only had 16 ounces of peroxide, so I had to follow up with a baking soda & water solution. When done wash with your regular dog shampoo

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that Dawn Ultra and warm water will get rid of the skunk odor if you get it quickly. My dog had gotten me sprayed on 5 desperate occasions before I got our yard fenced and didn't have to take her to walk anymore. Tyne place we were walking was full of them and she found them on a regular basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts