Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to show you that ghost towns are not always out west. This is what is left of the town of Tahawus, NY. It was also known as Adirondac (there is another Adirondack not to be confused) and is just outside of Newcomb in Essex County. The original mining operation was set up in the 1840's and then started up again by National Lead in 1940. My mother was born and raised there, and my grandfather worked for National Lead which had its operation there. There were two parts of the town, the upper works, and the lower works. From 1940 until 1989, 40 million tons of titanium came from the mine. The lower works had a YMCA, two stores, a gas station, houses, and a ten family apartment building as well as a few other structures including the mining operation itself. The upper works had a few other buildings, including the old hotel where Theodore Roosevelt was informed in 1901 that he was now President of the United States. In 1963 a huge lead deposit was found under the lower works, and so the entire town, every man, woman and child were forced out. Most, inluding my grandparents and my mother relocated to Long Lake and Newcomb. In 2005 the mine building itself was torn down. Now only a few buildings from the upper works remain. The state of NY is now restoring the building where Teddy was told of McKinley's death.

This was the YMCA in 1986

The mining operation in 1986

The mining buildings in the process of being demolished in 2005

The old McIntyre Blast Furnace built in 1847 (taken in 2004)

The house where Teddy Roosevelt was told of McKinley's death in 1901 (taken in 2004)

Two other upper works houses from 2004

This is what remains of the lower works. The whole town, the YMCA, the ten family apartments, every building that could not be moved is in that hole. It's a quarry more than 850 feet deep now. This was taken in 2005

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
David,

It's a very small world.

My family is from there too.

You probably aren't going to believe this, but my Great Aunt ran that Inn where Roosevelt was staying when McKinley was shot. She sent the guides into the woods to find TR. Not sure if she owned it or not.... I'll have to ask my Dad, who is in his mid-80's now. I'm going to show him your snapshots if you don't mind....

My Father used to stay at that Inn during summers as a boy before the war.... he used to trap snapping turtles for her and kept them in a rain barrel until she would butcher them.... her specialty was turtle soup.

I killed my first big buck in Newcomb. My Grandfather build a camp on the Northwoods Club road in the 1920's and it's still in the family. He owned all the property from his camp on bullhead brook all the way to the Boreas River. My Great Grand Uncle Lewis Scripture lived in a tent at the head of Huntley Pond from 1910 until 1925 when he moved into the camp. He had contracted TB and couldn't tolerate the air in Warrensburg or Corinth where the family settled in town.

Do you remember the Mountain View Hotel in Minerva? It was a stopping point on our way into camp. Sadly it burned down a few years ago but I have many fond (and fuzzy) memories of Genny Cream Ale and that place.... we would always stop at Mertie's Store for supplies and the the Mountain View for a few beers.

Thanks for putting this up...

Drew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts