Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local gun shop had this 649 in the case, looks unfired, no box.
I talked him down about $50.00 and got it for $525.00.
It dates 1987 and I changed the grips, I like these better.
I been lookin at one of these for awhile and after seeing Headknocker's 649 on this forum I decided to try it out, and it kinda grew on me, I like it.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
These are close to the pinnacle in pocket guns.... in my view the only model that would be better is the 649 Body Guard Magnum.... without the Ignition Switch of course.... :)

Nice snag.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I had both a 49 and a 649. Too heavy for back pocket carry, so I sold em both and got a model 38 airweight (pinned of course ;) ). I do like the looks of the no dash 649s though!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Great find, and I'm really digging those grips!!! I traded my 649, but it was worth it. Got a 1969 vintage Colt DS.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sebago Son said:
These are close to the pinnacle in pocket guns.... in my view the only model that would be better is the 649 Body Guard Magnum.... without the Ignition Switch of course.... :)
Sort of like this one, which I tricked out with some ebony stocks.

You mean I need a key to start this thing? I thought that was a lubrication fitting! Good thing I haven't had to shoot it yet.

Just kidding. ;)

Humpbacks are way cool in any finish and any caliber. I also have a 296. Wish S&W had made the .44 in steel with the exposed hammer spur so the single action option was also available.

David Wilson

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I love mine too.

It's one of the few 649-3 that does not have a lock! And the 357 mag in it is just right.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leighton, nice lookin Colt.
NFrame, I've never shot a "J" 357, I'll bet it's a handful with full house 357's. :shock:
DCW, nice grips, a little duct tape over that hole will keep the water out. nfiofnp

·
Super Moderator
32,480 Posts
Catdad said:
Leighton, nice lookin Colt.
NFrame, I've never shot a "J" 357, I'll bet it's a handful with full house 357's. :shock:
DCW, nice grips, a little duct tape over that hole will keep the water out. nfiofnp
I agree with you about Leighton's Colt, that is a great find.

My only J frame is a 60-10 and it IS a handfull with full power .357 Magnum loads. Remington Golden Saber loads are a lot easier on the hand recoil wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts