Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine a lot of you are making the same changes that I am. For the past couple of years, I find myself shooting my .22's alot more. I can still buy CCI Mini-Mags under $5/100, at WALMART.

I used to buy .38 reloads for that price, a few years ago. Now, they are around $20/50 !!!!! :eek: Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
i've gotten back into reloading, gave up smoking..(pack to two packs a day ,almost two grand a year saved),, don't eat out as much.. and now starting to use the .22's more often..

·
Registered
975 Posts
I tried to reduce the cost of shooting and try a new thing all in one. I bought a Uberti cap and ball, copy of a Colt 2nd Model Dragoon. Bought the gun cheap, used from a friend.
Went to the store. Bought some Pyrodex and some FFFG. Bought some balls. Bought some caps. Some some pre greased wads. Found out I needed a powder flask and a capper, and a nipple wrench and pick.
Went shooting. Hour later I had fired 56 balls down range. Had Pyrodex all over shooting table, caps all over the ground, soot and grease every where. Went home, hour later the gun was almost clean.
It was costing 35-40 cents per round in component cost. Pre greased wads were the big cost.
I can't wait to go again and this time I shoot the FFFG, I want lots of smoke. With a full charge that 4 lb. gun has a good recoil. Did not save any shooting cost by trying this, but it is fun.
[email protected]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, reloading and especially casting your own bullets makes for pretty cheap shooting. Since the bullets are virtually free, and pistol powder charges are pretty small, you are basically shooting for the cost of the primers. Which, unfortunately, has taken a bit of a jump. I even shoot cast in most of my rifles, which also calls for substantially less powder than jacketed loads. Its not quite as cheap as pistol, but its not too bad.

I'm also starting to think about looking for a K22!

I think the guys who have to shoot factory have it the worst, followed by jacketed bullet rifle shooters and shotgunners.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, stopped in to Wal-mart today to pickup 400 rounds of WWB and 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 22lr. The ammo case looked cleaned out. No Blazer at all, some shotgun and long rifle ammo but not much. Mostly, empty shelves. I am headed to Georgia Ammo in Villa Rica next week to pick up a butt load of good factory load.

G

·
0 Posts
Been casting and reloading for a few years. Best decision I ever made. I actually enjoy that stuff as much as shooting. Very relaxing and goes with my thrifty (reads Cheapo) lifestyle :mrgreen:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gizamo,

I agree. I think I have come to the point where its not so much that I cast and reload so I can shoot, but I shoot so I can cast and reload.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Been reloading for years, never done any casting. Don't have a place to do it (cast). Most of my reload's are for target use, so when I work up a load for a gun that is what I use. I checked on some CCI standard at Wall-Mart and they were out, told me they had it on order.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hand loading is the way to go. I can cast bullets as well but haven't in some years. Considering firing up the pot.

I've actually been shooting a bit more center fire lately. Also shooting up the rim fire.

G

·
0 Posts
I've been stockpiling pure lead and wheelweights. Have about a thousand pounds now, so that will be all I need for a good long time. But at 500 grains some of those BP bullets can go through alotta lead in a hurry. :eek:

Casting is perhaps the biggest savings, all my lead has been for free. When I look at the prices per 500 bullets, it amazes me. It was half that 2 years ago...Primers have doubled, and powder is surely going up all the time.

giz

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Giz, Where do you get the free wheel weights.........off of parked cars, during the night???? :lol: Your neighbors must love you!!!! They go out to their cars, to go to work......and the wheels are bumping down the road......again!!!! ~x( :D Bob

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Yard sales are a great place to find lead. Went by one and saw a bunch of fishing poles, stopped and bought a bucket of sinkers for next to nothing

G

·
0 Posts
Bob,

Salvage yards. Some strip the wheel weights before shipping the rims. One guy had 4 five gallon buckets full and thanked me for taking them. Couple of tire shops that I do business with save them and give them to me...

Giz

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya' know Giz.....messin' with lead, and casting your own boolits :D can account for some of your more deviant behavior problems.......like collecting ROOGARS!!!! #-o Just kiddin' ya', bro. :D :ymhug: Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I have been buying reloads from Mastercast. My buddy who is a LEO gets a discount. We paid $5.42 for 38SPL-148DEWC when we send our brass to them on our last order a few months back. Their prices are pretty hard to beat and I never had a single problem with the 1000s of rounds we got from them.

How does that price compare to what it costs you guys to reload?

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Hunter,
That's a good price, depending on how many you're getting for that price. Also, how much is shipping to and fro?

I've bought bullets from him in the past, but never reloads. He's a great guy to deal with!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts