Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a lot of experience with the newer Aluminum alloy guns. Are they as tuneable as the all-steel guns? And who do you recommend that has done a quality job for you? I'm perfectly happy having S&W work on my guns, but who else can do a good action job on a 342 Ti or 327 PD?

Thanks,
The Highlander

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Typically it's not the Aluminum, Scandium or Titanium parts that are altered in an "Action Job".

However, these newer issues such as you mention invariably have MIM (Metallic Injection Molded) lockwork parts. The jury is still out as far as I'm concerned as to the long term advisability of cutting and/or altering the surfaces of these parts.

For those newer guns that I carry & shoot alot that are MIM, I either replace the lockwork parts with forged (if available) or I limit the 'action work' to replacing springs. This, coupled with a good deal of dry firing is usually sufficient to smooth these guns out.

Drew

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
OH NO!!!! :eek: One of our most distinguished S&W members has surrended to MIM. I am not the only one, who won't buy a MIM gun around here, but I never imagined that Drew would "cave in" so easily. :roll: I think that maybe he's hangin' around with QC, and drinking that Cactus Tequila, too much. It's put a hole in his brain!!! :lol: And Drew used to be a fine, upstanding citizen. Now he's hit the after 60 downslope, and it ain't lookin' too good.

Ya' know.....you can always tell your future..... by what your friends are like, now. Drew better buy back the family farm, and get away from Sin City!!! :twisted: Bob

·
Registered
273 Posts
My gunsmith only works on revolvers and has tuned several Smiths for me including a 342. Nice guy with fairly quick turnaround, try "the revolver armorer" He shoots a lot of Icore and IDPA competition with Smiths, knows the new ones well.

Boats

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I'm too used to my L-comp, and a few of the "older" Smiths that just seem to have better triggers than the new stuff. Like everything else, they don't make 'em like that anymore. I forget that the old ones were stiff and gritty until I dry-fired the snot out of them, and shot a couple of cases through them! Guess I'm turning into a Grumpy Old Man afterall, Dad said it would happen.

I have a Python that was very stiff until I spent an evening dry-firing at Dan Rather et al. That thing is like oiled ice now. I'm just getting more impatient as I age, too much going on to dry-fire for hours now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts