Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Acquired recently wanting to share

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  WendyZXZ 
#1 ·
So i recently acquired 3 S&W 357 revolvers from my father. During his 39 years of time with the Sherrif's Office they were his personal carry weapon throughout his career, he never trusted a semi auto always loved his wheel guns. I had somebody give some approximate dates for them but would love any more input someone might have to the year model they might be to verify.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It looks like a Model 19 and two Model 357s which later became the Model 27.

It is hard to tell from the image but the Model 19 has a 4” barrel and the N frames have a 3 1/2” barrel and maybe a 5” barrel.

The old man had very good taste in revolvers.

Kevin

(edited to add) Birdhunter6 drew to my attention that one of them is a Model 27-2. That’s what happens when you look at the same image twice when trying to make an ID!

Kevin

#3 ·
Those are some really nice guns you inherited, and your Dad had good taste.
I'm sorry about the loss of your Dad, I know how tough that is.
We lost Dad last summer, and there are 4 or 5 old guns still left out of his accumulation.
None of us really wants to go through his stuff yet. Time will heal, i suppose. :)

#9 ·
Your Dad's Smiths are beautiful. What a great gift. If you post serial numbers people here can give you a pretty good idea of shipping dates. Many choose to use x for last couple of digits.

The nickel 27-2 at the top: Produced from '61 till '82. Your grips are not original.
Nickel Model 357 (Some would call it a "Pre 27") at center: Produced before '57 when model numbers were introduced. The finish on the hammer, ejector rod, and other small parts is not factory.
The blued 19-5 Combat Magnum at the bottom was produced from '82 through '86. It has target grips relieved for speed loaders. The Serial number is shown above the Model number. The AJT prefix has no specific year reference in the Standard Catalog of S & W, but AJS is listed for '86.

Those should all be great shooters. Learn all you can about them from your Dad. Write it all down to pass on to your son. With proper care those revolvers will be going to the range with HIS kids.

#13 ·
Those are nice. Hopefully your dad's mind is good enough to tell you some stories. My own dad died back in '99 at the age of 81 and for the last 5 years he could not recall much. Luckily, I knew all the stories of his WWII service and the guns he owned because he told me, and I wrote them down. Now I am getting up there so I have written down a little about my guns for my kids and grandkids. And I have instructed my wife to NOT put them out in a yard sale!

#14 ·
My dad had "selective memory", he didn't remember any of the "colorful" things he may or may not have done prior to marrying my mother. However, his friends had great memories and were more than happy to recount their many escapades for me. When I would ask dad, "hey, do you remember..." he never did. My dad passed almost 5 years ago. I wish he was still around so I could tease him about his memory, he would like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.