Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going by the theory that every collector should have one of these puppies, I offer the following shooter...
It's a P-08, 1920 Commercial DWM Luger 9MM., from the Weimar Republic era.
After WW I, prior to old Adolph's rise to power.
Redone many, many years ago, and sold to a nice lady at at Dyers AFB in Abilene, TX, for $ 49.95, in 1963.
Those were the days! :lol:
Itty-bitty 4" barrel, but it points like part of my hand!
Don

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
Nice find, Don! Congrats! kfjdrfirii
Looks to be in great shape..

·
Registered
570 Posts
a luger has ALWAYS been on my short list,, but as things happen, never enough money when one comes around or none to be found when i'm rolling in cash... :roll:
anyhow, "WE" the family had one when i was younger.. i don't know much about it ,never got to shoot it, i was way too young back then.. but we did use it for playing "Army" ..
my brother ended up tradeing it off for a bottle of JD and a six pack of beer when he was 16.....I'll never forget it,, it's when he got his first DUI.... :lol:
still like to find another one...

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kritter,
That story is both hysterically funny and heartbreaking, at the same time.
We used to play Army with my uncle's complete U.S. Army Air Corps outfit...officer's hat, brasses, all the stuff.
What ever happened to it?
Probably went to the Goodwill, along with the Civil Defense air raid siren (!) we had.
Pity...
:?
Don

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Don
Neat Old Luger. My Uncle was in W.W.-2 and Brought Home an Officers Luger. In a recent Conversation I asked him what ever happened to it as he has Very Little Interest in Guns anymore, and his response was when he had his children after his return home, He got Nervous when my Cousin Alan became a Toddler Investigating everything, so he "Buried it on The Family Farm". The farm has been since dozed down and a sub division resides in it's Place... nbvoALO Hammerdown

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, hammerdown
That's another story that shows how anxious Americans were to 'get back to normal' after the war.
Your uncle was probably like many, many folks who were worried about their family's safety.
Since lots of people weren't really into guns, and didn't forsee the future value of ordnance like Lugers, I'll wager that more of the guns were lost, destroyed and disposed of than survived here.
Now it's up to US to preserve that history.
Don
;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
That's another story that shows how anxious Americans were to 'get back to normal' after the war.
Your uncle was probably like many, many folks who were worried about their family's safety.
Since lots of people weren't really into guns, and didn't forsee the future value of ordnance like Lugers

Hello Don
I have Only Known my Uncle to be straight laced and Proper. Believe it or not he was of all Things a Sniper in World War II. To know him, he is very quiet, well dressed and would not at all seem like the Kind of Person that would be a sniper.

The Luger he Brought home was Taken from a 12 Year Old Kid he had to Take out that was Perched high in a warehouse and was Knocking off Our Men as soon as they tried to advance. It took My Uncle Three Hours to work into a Position where he could see this Kid and he had No Earthly Idea it was a 12 Year Old Kid the Germans had Placed as a Sniper. :cry:

Once he took the shot he advanced into the warehouse and that is when he discovered he had Killed a 12 Year old Kid, and took The Luger off him, of which he more than Likely grabbed it off a dead Officer, as he was way too Young to be an Officer. My Father shared this story with me many years ago, and he said that My Uncle was forever effected after that shot was Placed, but he did what he had to do.

I suspect Safety was one of his Concerns, But I would be willing to bet he Buried a Bad memory the day he laid that Luger in the hole he Dug for it on the family Farm...I Hunted Deer with him Once on Our Family Farm land and he took a Giant 8 Point Buck. He gave his son his shotgun Right after that, and had the Head Mounted which is still in his Den.

I found it real odd that he would not want to return to hunt with us again, and that is when my Father told me the story above and said he More than Likely had a flash back after Taking that deer as that was the Only time he had seen him with a gun in his hands since the War.. :cry: Hammerdown

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ken,
A nice, original-looking Luger.
IMHO, you made an excellent trade!
Don
;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts