Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many posts regarding the S&W 460, and much is said regarding the velocity of the 454 Casull in the 460XVR. But I have not found much about the*accuracy*of the 454 Casull in the 460XVR. Does the 454 round suffer significant accuracy deterioration in the 460XVR? The reason for the question comes from the significantly shorter case length of the 454, and thus a significant bullet jump vs. the 460. Would you please share your experience with this subject?

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
For me the 460 cartridge in the 460 XVR is the only way to go,, and the 454 Casull in it is not a good match-up. If you can afford to shoot it and keep ammo in your stores, the 460 ammo in the 460 pistol is hard to beat. It is certainly well suited for home loading, and working up a great combination of bullet and powder combinations. I never understood why somebody would put a mismatched cartridge into another chambering just because you can.

The 460 in the S&W XVR with the 10-3/8" barrel is incredibly accurate.. it can shoot MOA to slightly sub-MOA at 100 yds. There are a lot of hunters that have changed to the 460 because of the ease of handling, and spot on accuracy. I had a 500, and it was nearly uncontrollable. The 460XVR pistol has excellent balance and weight to make the recoil manageable. Don't get me wrong, the recoil is substantial, but it's okay for an experienced shooter.

The 454 Casull is a beast, and outside of the Taurus Raging Bull, I don't recall another company that has put so much engineering and work into trying to make it a hunting pistol.
The one I shot had modest accuracy at 25 yds (3" groups), and barely hunt-able at 50 yds (5-6" groups). The recoil in the Raging Bull is substantial, and honestly, I found it brutal over a couple of cylinders in practice. The one I bought was used when I got it and it was returned a few days after I got it because it was not what the sales person touted it to be. After that the 454 held no interest for me.

Sidecar flip will hopefully chime in soon. He hunts with the 460, and can tell you all of the ins and outs.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I never understood why somebody would put a mismatched cartridge into another chambering just because you can.

Gearchecker
Gearchecker, I've done this successfully in my 44Mag. It shoots 44Spcl very well. The reason to do this can include cost savings, for warm-up loads, for new or inexperienced shooter to have fun using a lighter load, and generally to provide extrs options. YMMV.

Thanks for your insight into my query. If the 454 Casull does not shoot acceptably well in the 460XVR, I can always load down my 460 loads!

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
I'm chiming.....lol

I would only shoot 460's in the 460 for a couple reasons. Most importantly is the carbon buildup in the cylinder bores. Shooting shorter cases will cause hot carbon buildup and the resultant hard chambering of a full length case. My philosophy is, if you can afford to buy a 460 X frame, shoot 460 in it. Not that expensive anyway and if you roll your own, like I do they are very economical.

I know Hiccup 45 shot all sorts of rounds in the one he had, but keep in mind that, one, he never cleaned it and two it wasn't many. If you shoot shorter cases a lot, chances are you'll be limited to that case length from carbon build up unless of course you really clean the bores with a brass brush or a patch with lapping compound on it to get it out, neither I want to do, I clean mine after I discharge it but I don't want to have to remove carbon because I fired short cases in it, but that is just how I roll.

The ONLY factory rounds I've ever shot in mine were the Hornady 250 grain flex tips and only to 'break in the gun'. I think I sent maybe 20 down range and that was it. All I shoot now I handload and I'll let you in on a little secret, I jump the hanloads over SAMMI spec, there is plenty of room in the cylinder bores to actually jump the pills for accuracy purposes and I've been jumping the Hornady 452 FMJ HP's around 0.050 over max SAMMI length and getting fantastic results. My 450 typically shoots MOA at 100 yards with muzzle velocity averaging 2300 fps across my chrono.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the advice on shooting 460 round in the 460 revolver. But respectfully, I still didn't get an answer to my question: does the 454 round suffer significant accuracy deterioration in the 460XVR?
Perhaps not many have done this...

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Don't know about the XVR, but .454s work fine in the 460V.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know about the XVR, but .454s work fine in the 460V.
After discussing with Justin at the LGS, I decided on the 460V as I plan to hog hunt in the future. 460V inbound. :D
So for now, I'll just load up milder 460 loads if I want 454 or 45Colt performance. So many options!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I appreciate the advice on shooting 460 round in the 460 revolver. But respectfully, I still didn't get an answer to my question: does the 454 round suffer significant accuracy deterioration in the 460XVR?
Perhaps not many have done this...
I have the 460 XVR performance model and I have shot 45 colt 454 Cassul and the 460 I’ve gotten excellent accuracy with the 454 Cassul in my reloads using 250 grain flat nose plated bullets
Using the Hodgdon online manual for the loads using Titegroup.
I have used trail boss 15 grains with a 250 grain plated bullet in the 460 case with good results.
now I have not been using hot loads with the 454 Cassul because the whole point of me loading those was I didn’t think I could load up light loads in the longer cases of the 460. unless you use trail boss or tin star powder. There is no other options that I am aware of that are light loads that you can use plated bullets in the 460 size case without having issues. The velocities are just too high otherwise.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
The X frame chassis and the 5 bore cylinder can take about anything you want to throw at it propellant wise. The limiting factor will be what you can deal with.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've found that I can download the 460S&W acceptably with Blue Dot and a few other "standard density" powders. Yours is the first comment I've ever read that reported good accuracy results from shooting 454 loads in the 460. This is interesting, indeed.

I have the 460 XVR performance model and I have shot 45 colt 454 Cassul and the 460 I’ve gotten excellent accuracy with the 454 Cassul in my reloads using 250 grain flat nose plated bullets
Using the Hodgdon online manual for the loads using Titegroup.
I have used trail boss 15 grains with a 250 grain plated bullet in the 460 case with good results.
now I have not been using hot loads with the 454 Cassul because the whole point of me loading those was I didn’t think I could load up light loads in the longer cases of the 460. unless you use trail boss or tin star powder. There is no other options that I am aware of that are light loads that you can use plated bullets in the 460 size case without having issues. The velocities are just too high otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts