Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is an old veteran model 1917, 45 acp from WW I, manufactured in 1918 with all the U.S. arsenal markings. Later in it's life it became a duty revolver in the 1920's for a Detroit Police Officer. The officer carried it from the late 20's until his retirement from the force in the mid 1950's. Sometime in it's history some changes came about to make for a more suitable carry piece, but the officer still carried it because, "when a target or adversary was hit it stayed hit". The barrel has been cut to 3 1/2", a windage adjustable rear sight and elevation adjustable front sight were added. The Sanderson grips in the lower photos came with the gun when I bought it from the Officer's son last fall. It also isn't known when the Sanderson's were added, but they were carried by the policeman in his later career. Greg

·
Registered
656 Posts
"... came with the gun when I bought it from the Officer's son..."

And this is why I don't worry about keeping guns nice as heirlooms.

Nice revolver with a great history. Too bad the son didn't want to keep it. (Although it now occurs to me that maybe he is quite elderly at this point and is selling things because it's time to do so.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SaxonPig said:
"... (Although it now occurs to me that maybe he is quite elderly at this point and is selling things because it's time to do so.)
You are correct with your closing statement, the son is now 79 years old and has no heirs. The gentleman knew that I appreciated Smith & Wessons and history, so he offered this along with a K-22 Masterpiece that he bought new in 1953. I'll post the K-22 pics later this evening in the post 1945 section. The model 1934 Beretta below is one my Dad captured during WW II while fighting under General Patton in Tunisa, North Africa in 1943. Dad carried this pistol through the Invasion of Sicily, the Normandy Invasion, Battle of Heurtgen Forest, Battle of the Bulge, at the crossing over the Rhine River at Remagen and while on the Cheboygan, Michigan Police Dept. after WW II. It will stay with me until my son receives it when I'm gone. Greg

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Thanks, Greg, for a really neat post :ymapplause: .
Guns from the days when they were real workhorses!
If there was ever an area where the M-1917 needed improvement it was in the sights...I also liked the remark about when shooting with that .45, the 'recipient' "...stayed hit." :!:
AMEN!
Don

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Wow, those are really cool with a great story behind them. make sure you keep the provenance written down for the next caretaker.....

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Very good post indeed. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, for your comments. The sharing of the history behind these guns in our collections is what collecting is all about. The guns are just material reminders left from the great individuals that carried and used them to keep us free, safe and secure. I'm thankful to have known some of these people and be free to share these stories. Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts