Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still hunting down load data for 300 grain lead pills and came across something strange (or perhaps not, maybe I just haven't noticed it before).

I've seen loads using 9.0 grains of Unique for both 250-55 and 300 grain lead pills. Neither of which are gas checked.

Isn't it odd that the same powder charge can be used for bullets weights that are 50 grains apart?

I remember loading up some 300 grainers years ago using 9.0 grains of Unique, but just can't get myself to think that I can use the same load for 255's.

I've got a box of 500 300grLTCFP and don't want to make whomper-stompers out of them (they aren't very hard), but rather some softer "plinking" rounds. I'm thinking Unique is the way to go with these.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I think you're still talking about loading for .45 Colt.....?

I'm looking at Alliant's lawyered-up loading brochure for year 2000.

Here is their Max. load for 300gr. HP/XTP and Unique:

300gr. XTP ; 6.8gr. Unique ; 690fps ; 12,600cup

On a bright sunny day, you might be able to watch that one fly downrange! :lol:

I've shot 1000s of the 255gr +9.0gr Unique loads through my Colt SAAs. It is the normal "everyday" load I put in them if I'm carrying one in the woods. It's not that heavy of a load but it's not a light paper-puncher either. I've chrono'd it through a 5 1/2" barrel at ~900fps, so it closely matches the factory ballistics of the original US Army service load.

I feel certain that my revolvers would fare just fine if I exchanged that 255gr. bullet for a 300 grainer, but they don't have adjustable sights. If I was set on using Unique, I'd probably start at/sli. below Alliant's powder volumes and work up to 9.0gr. - even with your big Ruger.

xtm

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Unique I have is probably 10 years old or so. It's been kept away from cold/heat, etc.. Think it's still good?

I have been unable to find a single pound of the stuff in NW Montana. :shock:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen some folks like 6.5 grains of Red Dot underneath a 300 grainer as well. Giving around 900fps out of a 5.5" bbl.

Same thing with a 255, giving about 850fps and is apparently nice and accurate.

G

·
0 Posts
I've been using 7.4 to 7.7 grains of Unique for years in my 255 gr plinking loads. Enough authority to knock down the big Pepper Poppers with ease...and still not a handful of recoil.

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
LeMat said:
The Unique I have is probably 10 years old or so. It's been kept away from cold/heat, etc.. Think it's still good?

I have been unable to find a single pound of the stuff in NW Montana. :shock:
If it's kept dry, cool and out of the sun it's fine I'm sure.... I've been using Unique out of the last of 3, 8 lbs caddys I bought in 1986 with perfect satisfaction.... I've bought quite alot since then but rotate my inventories to use the oldest first.

To check for deterioration, look for unusual coloring or a fine rust-like powder on the surfce of the flakes.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I finally found some Unique. :D

Now here's the kicker - my local gun shop carries just about every powder out there. They have all of the Alliant flavors and they all run $16.00.

Except for Unique - $20.00!!! Now someone tell me why it's 4 dollars more! :x The last pound I bought just a few years ago was only $13.00. Are you guys paying that much for this stuff?

I bought a pound of Bullseye as well and may be using that for a lot of my 45 ACP loads now. I'll reserve the Unique for 45 Colt. :(

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Try Alliant "Promo" powder for $80/8 lbs. thru Powder Valley. Burning characteristics for Promo are the same as Red Dot. I use 3.6 grains & 158 lead in .38s, and 5.5 grains & 240 lead in .44 special. Can't beat Promo for economy (read: CHEAP!). ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts