Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll probably forget it on the 23rd, but 39 years ago I asked my company XO for voluntary treatment with amnesty for alcoholism and on the 23rd of November 1980. I took my last drink and entered detox treatment. It was 3 years and 1 day since my father passed on. The next 2 weeks was some of the worst time I spent in my life but I went through it going somewhere. To a better place. I broke 3 fingers on my left hand falling repeatedly trying to walk again. Every time I closed my eyes to sleep I had the most horrible dreams I could possibly imagine. In one, I was in a brand new convertible with the top down and I drove onto a swimming pool that had a sheet of glass instead of water. My family was in the car with me. After stopping.the car broke through the glass, onto another sheet below it and another below that and continued to do so. the car was filling with the broken glass and we were being cut to shreds by it- then I woke up. After the hospitalization I went to group therapy sessions where the therapist told me that he couldn't imagine that I'd remain sober. I was so frank in telling anything at all about the entire experience that some thought I was lying to get the sessions over with. I wanted to quit and I made the effort to and have remained sober from then til now.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just hope someone else can think of someone who made it and realize that they can, if they want to. That is most important, to want to quit, to construct a life that moves separately from whatever is the problem.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story, and I also hope it will help someone else. I have a step daughter who went through intensive therapy also and is counting the days, which are now becoming months. One day at a time. She is slowly building a new life for herself. That BIRTH DAY - the first day sober - is more important than the day on which your body entered the world as a new born babe.

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The days out from under the bad stuff are definitely a gift days she has some control over instead of having something controlling her, That was a burden lifted for me.

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
I will never understand it. Alcoholism is prevalent Donna's family. I don't have any knowledge of my family.....but my Grandfather used to own a bar. It must have been in the '20's......things were pretty crazy, then! Bob

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sure there some physical characteristics involved with the effect that alcohol has on some. It just seems to have a stronger effect on some that makes it's abuse more of a risk. I'm sure there are other factors in play but I'm certain it's effect is a factor. It was with me.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And thank you all for the kind words. It may sound selfish, but sobriety has to be first and foremost, it's own reward. Staying of the stuff has to be a selfish act. One can and will cheat on anyone and anything if their will can't carry them. The lord gave me what I need to stay with it.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
387 Posts
Congratulations, I stopped drinking years ago. I was not the one in charge in that relationship. It came between me and my family. I struggled to quit but nothing as difficult as your story. Best wishes and hold the line sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,612 Posts
Thanks for telling the story and congratulations on your "win". Hopefully will help someone else in need too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts