Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many rounds do you carry on your person/vehicle? Not asking to judge, just wondering what you feel may be necessary. I was hiking with the family today and took a 5 shot 357 with a speedloader in my pocket and one in the truck. In my console I leave a box of 50 of every caliber I may carry. I have 9mm's, 38's, 45acp's, 44spcl's. When I carry an auto I seem to do the same one extra mag in the pocket and one in the truck. Is this too much or not enough? When I was thinking about how realistic is it to break open the box, or even get back to the vehicle to reload? Thoughts, opinions, personal experiences. Thanks, James.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I usually carry 2 reloads for what ever I might be carrying.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
James If I'm in the woods I always carry a reload. If I'm in town and I need a reload I am in more trouble than my gun can help me with. ;)

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
I kinda look at it like c pierce does..

I carry one reload and if that's not enough, I'm in pretty serious trouble..

·
Registered
753 Posts
99% of the time during working hours, it's a little J frame in my pocket with the speed loader in my truck.
On weekends, sometimes I carry 2 extra mags in my shoulder rig for my 1911. If I grab the old "work" 38, sometimes an extra speed loader in my jacket.

When commuting in my truck, I always think "gas petal". A 1/2 ton chevy has more muzzle energy than "any" handgun. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
When questioned about high capacity semi-autos Skeeter Skelton used to say, "If you haven't solved your problem with shots 1-7 what makes you think you'll be alive to fire shots 8-15?"

One reload is sufficient for me, if not, then I don't need to be going in an area that requires such a "battle load" without an AR slung over my shoulder.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Moondawg... anyone that has ever watched a movie with a gunfight, knows that any encounter routinely takes up 45-50 rounds per gun.

Just kidding. I like that quote. It is very practical, I hadn't thought of that before. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
That particular subject came up a lot when we (LEO's) switched from revolvers to hi-cap wonder nines in the mid 1980's.

Some agencies allowed revolvers "grand fathered" in however, mine did not for "on duty" use. j;zn;

Fortunately off duty I can carry any damn thing I want :mrgreen:

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
f150guy said:
Moondawg... anyone that has ever watched a movie with a gunfight, knows that any encounter routinely takes up 45-50 rounds per gun.

Just kidding. I like that quote. It is very practical, I hadn't thought of that before. Thanks.
You have to remember that....they are speaking about trained Police Officers. Any civilian could "make do" with 5 in the M-36!!! Bob
:roll: :lol:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, I don't feel so confused now. I'll just keep doing what I have been.

·
Super Moderator
32,701 Posts
I carry my Ruger SP101 3" in .357 loaded with Remington Golden Sabre and a speedloader in the purse. Yes, I do have a carry permit. For the car I carry my S & W model 13 3" loaded with the same. I did change from the factory grips to Uncle Mike's for better control. Those wooden grips were great for .38 Special, but were pushing the edge of painful to shoot with .357 loads.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I usually carry my 4043. If the 12 rounds ( 11+1 in the tube ) ain't gonna solve the problem, I probably need artillary backup more than I need a reload.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Here's mine....it's actually a 2 1/4"

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice one Sip. I was thinking about sending mine to Gemini Customs. What package did you get?

·
Registered
490 Posts
One magazine in the gun, one on the belt-- or one speed loader in the case of my 649-- as stated, if more needed, I would be beyond help. :roll:
This reminds me of one time bow hunting on some private property. This guy showed up with a DOZEN arrows on his bow ? Have NO idea what he was hunting. :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
No one has ever complained about having too much ammo. That said, my over all comfort level seems to be 10 - 15 rounds, so I'm usually satisfied with a speedloader for a revolver or a spare mag for a single stack auto. When I carry a double column auto I don't bother with a spare mag, and no, I don't worry about a mag failure. ;)

David

·
Registered
898 Posts
Jamn 44 said:
Nice one Sip. I was thinking about sending mine to Gemini Customs. What package did you get?
Thanks...I got the base package (action job, meld, polish and chamfer) minus the porting. I also added the fiber optic front sight at his suggestion...best investment I ever made...really makes shooting it a joy...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wendy, one of the local shops has a 3" SP101 but they want $475. I might be able to make a trade, don't know. I just don't see them that often. I like yours, good carry gun. James

1 - 20 of 27 Posts