Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly because I need some distraction and partially due to the fact that I may be breaking up this set, I present for your viewing pleasure a study in N-Frame, Pre-Key, Stainless Mountain Guns. I hope you enjoy.

625-6; CAY07xx in .45 Colt.

This gun has been "stylized" (as opposed to "customized", as all original parts can be readily replaced). "Retro Changes" include Eagle "Heritage" RB to SB Conversion Stocks, "Service Type" Forged Hammer and Trigger, Red Ramp / White Outline sights, 2nd Pattern Cylinder Release. It's one of my favorites and with a load of 8.5 Grns of Unique and 260 Grn. Lead Round Nose, Flat Point it's very shootable. I think it is the most practical of the Mountain Guns and Skeeter Skelton would have loved it.

657-4; CCU08xx in .41 Magnum.

I bought this gun at Northern Lights Guns in Anchorage Alaska. It is complete, original with box, but unlike the others it has a frame mounted firing pin.

629-4; CCF95xx in .44 Magnum.

While the 629 MG is the most commonly encountered type in this series, these guns are pretty tough to shoot with full power .44 Magnum rounds. Of the several I've owned I've never found them to be as accurate as a comparable 4" 29-2 or -3.

The Trio together....

For those that have pontificated that there was NEVER a MIM hammer with the hammer nose (firing pin) installed, I offer this proof.

MIM (on 629):

Forged (for comparison):

Side by side.

Frame Mounted Firing Pin (for reference):

Actually the 625 originally shipped with a MIM hammer and it was likely one of the first to do so. It had absolutely the WORST trigger on a S&W I have ever seen. On the Single Action stroke, the hammer would actually rotate backward before falling. When I tried to adjust it, the SA sear wouldn't cut properly. That hammer was junk so I upgraded the whole gun to Forged, Color Hardened parts.

Yes, yes I know I'm missing the .45 ACP issue, but I'm just not that interested enough in having the complete set to pay the crazy, stupid money they bring. Almost as much as the 657 MG which is highly sought after, especially as new in the box with the ridiculous MasterLock 'trigger prop'.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,

Drew Perez
SWCA 1802.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Nice set. I'm very fond of my 625 45 Colt mtn gun. I just came in from reloading and putting a few rounds through it. I loaded up 15.5 gr of 2400 and a 255 swc. Seems like a nice load!

Its a 625-6 and all forged parts.

·
Registered
593 Posts
629-4 Mountain Gun as purchased

And with my favorite stocks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very nice. My 657 Mt. Gun scored again this season. I knocked down a large doe from about 30 yards as she was sneaking out of a swamp one afternoon. I used an Oregon Trail "laser cast" hard cast 215 grain swc over a moderate dose of unique. I anchored her with a spine shot and moved in for the coupe de grace.

nvnpngp

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RobO said:
".... I anchored her with a spine shot and moved in for the coupe de grace."
Nice Shootin' Tex! ;)

My Oldest Son DJ carried one of my 57's a 4" No Dash this season. Loaded with 10.0 Grns of Unique under a softcast 220 grn RCBS SWC he was shooting 12 rounds into 3" at 50 paces.

But after he took his buck at 600 yards with my .300 H&H, he didn't have to worry about the follow up.... it was DRT.

DJ is standing where he fired from and the buck was on the hillside waaaaaay in the background, just to the left of the high tension tower.

Drew

·
Registered
38 Posts
How do you know your 629-4 hammer is MIM?

The MIM hammers started with the frame mounted firing pins.
You can't base it off the color of the case hardening.

·
Registered
38 Posts
On the -4 series of 66,686,and 629 guns Smith&Wesson went to the case hardened forged hammers and triggers instead of the flash chromed hammers and triggers on the -3 and earlier guns-I don't know why, possibly it was a cost saving issue so they could use the same hammers and triggers on the carbon steel and SS guns. Many people comfuse the -4 guns as having MIM.

In a recent tread on a model 66-4 the owner thought the gun had MIM because his earlier model 66's had flash chrome.

The dash-4 variants were the last with forged parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
600 yards? Wow. Reminds me of that "Operation" game by Milt & Bradley: It takes a very steady hand...

I guess he didn't have to bother with scent control either?

Sounds like you guys had a good season. Enjoy.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
revolverman said:
How do you know your 629-4 hammer is MIM?

The MIM hammers started with the frame mounted firing pins.
You can't base it off the color of the case hardening.
I cut the part to adjust the SA sear. This was not a forged part.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Drew, please offer my congratulations to your son for his fine marksmanship.

I am a regular NRA mid range and long range prone competitor, so I am keenly aware of what goes into a sucessful shot at 600 yards. And I do so with a heavy target rifle, wearing a stiff shooting coat and a very tight sling, aiming at a target made just for the purpose in a color very contrasting against its background.

To score a cold bore kill at 600 yards with a sporting rifle from a field position is difficult at best. Well done.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank You Jose.

DJ is a fine shot. He's been at it since he was 4 years old and he is in top physical condition.

If it had been another shooter and I hadn't been there to see it, I wouldn't have believed it.

All I did was dope the wind and advise him of how much bullet drop to expect at that range. He and my old Remington did the rest.

Drew Sr.

·
Registered
129 Posts
NICE "Set" of Mountain Guns! My favorites are the 625 in .45 ACP and the 629...neither of which I have anymore..."New Toys" called, and I foolishly sold 'em or traded 'em off...oh, well...too many Smiths, not enough $$$!!!....mikey357

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nice family group there....

re: "I think it is the most practical of the Mountain Guns "

not to start any turmoil here....what goes into that conclusion, given the lovely 657 just laying there?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts