Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To settle a point of curiosity (mine), I loaded a few 9mm size (.355) 124 grain cast lead bullets into some 38 Special cases. Once done, it was off to the range to see if they would perform adequately. Shooting at a range of about 25 yards, they made a respectable pattern staying well within a minute of steel plate. The main reason behind this test is that I have quite a few more 9mm cast lead bullets on hand than I do 38 Special regulation size (.357-.358) bullets. I don't intend to use this load on a regular basis, but it is nice to know that it can be done!

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
To settle a point of curiosity (mine), I loaded a few 9mm size (.355) 124 grain cast lead bullets into some 38 Special cases. Once done, it was off to the range to see if they would perform adequately. Shooting at a range of about 25 yards, they made a respectable pattern staying well within a minute of steel plate. The main reason behind this test is that I have quite a few more 9mm cast lead bullets on hand than I do 38 Special regulation size (.357-.358) bullets. I don't intend to use this load on a regular basis, but it is nice to know that it can be done!
Nice to know. A few years ago I reloaded some aluminum 45acp cases....to see if it could be done. All cases survived being reloaded once. I had done some research first and read where others had done it without a problem. One source said that on the 3rd loading about a quarter of them split a little and by the 4th, half of the remainder had,so he quit there. I only loaded mine to about the midrange for the powder used and since 45 is a low pressure round I didnt feel it was very risky. I would probably try reloading aluminum 38 special cases if I had any, but not 9mm , 40 or 357

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thing that can be done in an emergency is to load a 22 caliber pellet into the chamber of a 22 rifle or handgun and then load a ramset .22 power cartridge (blank). Works quite well for short ranges (50 yds or less).

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
I reloaded some of that Russian steel cased .223 ammo. My buddy was shooting it in a bolt gun, I noticed it was boxer primed so I thought I would try it. I re-loaded the same case 5 time and then it wouldn't chamber in my pals' rifle.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The main reason behind this test is that I have quite a few more 9mm cast lead bullets on hand than I do 38 Special regulation size (.357-.358) bullets. I don't intend to use this load on a regular basis, but it is nice to know that it can be done!
Certainly workable in a pinch. But being under size, they will probably tend to lead up the bore more than regular .357/.358 diameter bullets.

John

·
Registered
113 Posts
Years ago, back in the 80s, I loaded up some swaged .38 158 gr. SWCs (maybe Hornady) into a 9mm with a low charge of Bullseye. Shot them through a Browning Hi Power, Worked just fine at the time, as I remember.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Experiments make thus hobby enjoyable and interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts