Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was updating my coral members and found this old 3 screw Blackhawk in 357 Mag. Was made sometime in 1963. It is one of my favorites as it goes well with the Henry Silver Boy. So thought would start a thread of your favorite Single Actions. I do really like the Single Actions so here are a few favorites;
1963 Blackhawk, 357 Mag
J. P. Sauer & Sohn, 357 Mag
Colt SAA NRA Commemorative 1975, 357 Mag
Ruger Vaquero. 45 Colt
Uberti Remington 1858 Army Conversion, 45 Colt

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I can only play with my Ruger convertible in .45Colt/.45 ACP. For no real good reason except that I already had a couple of .44 mags, I did not own a .45 Colt for a long time. This Ruger was so accurate and fun to shoot, it "made me" buy a Smith model 25 in that caliber. Shoots better than I expected with the .45 ACP cylinder in place.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Love those Ruger SA's.

Top down...

.45 Colt Bisley Blackhawk.
.357/9mm convertible, 3-screw Ruger, with Bisley style hammer & trigger made by Clements Custom.
.41 Mag. Blackhawk, Bisley hammer, polished SS grip frame.
.44 Special Flatop Blackhawk, Bisley hammer.

Yeah... I'm liking Bisley hammers on standard grips frames (also easier to get than the low spur hammers for Super Blackhawks), it's
an easy modification with a dremel cut-off wheel to fit them to a standard grip frame. Unfortunately, Clements is no longer making the Old Model Blackhawk Bisley hammer/triggers. 🥺

Buckeye Sports special edition Blackhawk, dual cylinders... .32-20 & .32 H&R Mag.

·
Registered
17,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few more to add to the list,
Colt Frontier Scout 62 in 22 Mag
Ruger Bisley 45 Cal Conversion
Ruger Single Six 22 cal Convertible
Ruger Lipsey Blackhawk 45 cal Convertible

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts
My one and only SAA. Great guns folks you have shown to us.

Uberti 1873 Frontier Series

Shoots just fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Old Model Ruger Single-Six in .22LR with 9.5-inch barrel. Unconverted, of course. Matching numbered cylinder for .22WMR.

I'd bought one just like this in 1970. The second Ruger single-action I'd ever bought. Then I sold it years later, sometime around 1975 I think. Then I bought this one in 2013. Then (sadly) I sold it, too! Don't know why. Familiar story, huh? Then I found another one ANIB last year. Passed on it as too expensive, so someone else got it off GB. Then I found another one, also ANIB with matching cylinder and all paperwork and box in great shape. And it was even more expensive! Like $1600! I can't win. If my "wants" ever begin to become more aligned with my bank account, maybe I'll get another one. Who knows. They are great old guns, that's for sure.

·
Registered
22,671 Posts
No SA's here but I sure like to look at them. Great pics of some fine revolvers everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Here's a few, and some holsters :)

thewelshm

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've posted this photograph before, maybe not on this forum, I can't remember.

Even though you can't see much of the gun, this shows my Ruger Old Model Super Blackhawk in a Safariland rig from the seventies, along with some original Super Vel ammo. The Ruger features a factory brass grip frame. The vintage Jay Scott grips look incredibly chintzy today, but in the early seventies they were quite popular and they sold a ton of the things. It 1972, we didn't have all these grip making companies and custom grip makers that we have today. I actually don't remember seeing anyone making revolver grips from elk antler stag back then. And no memory at all of grips from Thailand and the Philippines. Wouldn't have bought foreign made grips anyway. Still won't.

Anyway, this isn't the original gun, but I carried an identical one in an identical Safariland rig handgun hunting with my buddy in the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains from about 1972-1975. I still consider that style of Safariland holster and belt (both suede lined) one of the best field rigs ever made. I wish I could remember my .44 hunting load. It was pretty hot...something with 2400 and either a 180-grain or a 200-grain bullet. I was partial to Hornady back then. Didn't much care for cast lead bullets. Still don't. But that's just me. Whatever the load was, the gun was sighted in for it at 50 yards.

If anyone notices the empty cartridge loop on the belt, it's in memory of my shooting-hunting-handloading buddy Chris, who passed away several years ago. We drank innumerable beers together while poring over books full of vintage photographs of cowboys and the Old West, lamenting the fact that we had been born in the 20th Century instead of the mid-1800s. It seems very strange to have outlived him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts