Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I make my cheddar jalapeno cornbread in my grandmother's cast iron Wagner skillet..................but then I also make my grits with bacon and cheddar

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
YUM!!!

It must be the weather... I woke up this morning with a terrible hankering for biscuits and gravy, so I scratched the itch. Must try cornbread the next time around.

·
Super Moderator
31,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YUM!!!

It must be the weather... I woke up this morning with a terrible hankering for biscuits and gravy, so I scratched the itch. Must try cornbread the next time around.
Although I do make home made biscuits cornbread especially jalapeno cornbread is my favorite.

·
Premium Member
11,340 Posts
That looks great. I found a great biscuit recipe on you tube. Two ingredients!

1 cup of self rising flour
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream

get those two to know each other

knead about 12-15 times and pat or roll out

10-12 minutes at 450 degrees

makes three biscuits; four if you cut the dough rather than use a glass to cut them out

I made my first sausage gravy about a month ago. 1 # of Jimmy Dean sausage, browned and broken up, 3 tablespoons of flour and cook just till the flour begins to brown, then add milk to get to the consistency you want. It was pretty good. I froze half and had that last night with one of the biscuits from above. That was good as well. Wife doesn't like sausage but she does like the biscuits.

I have to try and find that gravy recipe on you tube again and write it down this time.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Although I do make home made biscuits cornbread especially jalapeno cornbread is my favorite.
Try adding some cheddar or similar; and maybe - if you can get some - adding some hatch chilis in lieu of jalapenos...........;)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Wendy that looks great. And I love Jalapeños in cornbread. Today I actually cooked the chicken and beans that Boriqua posted a few days ago. It was excellent and was gone before I could even think about a photo.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Comfort food is interesting to say the least... I may have to have a go at some and post accordingly..:)

Thewelshm

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Try adding some cheddar or similar; and maybe - if you can get some - adding some hatch chilis in lieu of jalapenos...........;)
Also... with cornbread, try adding canned creamed corn, and adjust the liquid part of the recipe for the liquid in the creamed corn. I like the added texture and the corn flavor it adds.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Looks great, Don’t change a thing. You can’t improve on perfection.

·
Registered
19,428 Posts
I have a feeling that........if it tastes good....it's no good for you!!!!! My Doc tells me to eat Brocolli. I said, "I've lived for 70 years without Brocolli..........I can make it the rest of the way, without it!!!" nbhaofBob

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That looks delicious .. It does remind me of the first time I had SOS. I h ad always heard the term but .. as you might imagine .. not a big thing in NYC. Here I was in basic training and you could take as much food as you want but you had to eat it in short order and there it was.

I thought .. S on a shingle!!?? This stuff is Amazing!!

Few years ago a long time buddy of mine came over and spent the night since it was summer .. we had to much to drink and it was late. He is originally from Kentucky. Dont you know .. he must have known we were going to get .. um ... Inebriated because he brought all the fixins over to make it for use with homemade biscuits and divulged the secret!!

The wife (not a cook) has made it a few times and while its good .. his was better .. something about Kentucky I think!! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts