Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a very much modified pedersoli '74 sporter #1 that started off as a .40-65 that went to gunsmith extraordinaire lee shaver for drilling and setting liners for both chamber and barrel with a .450 bore and .458 lands, the chamber was reamed with a very special paper patched reamer ... standard greaser .45-70 cartridges will not chamber in this gun, and new .45-70gov't brass (i use starline) needs to be reformed in cut down lyman full length sizing die. the upshot of all this fuss is rifle made for shooting the olde tyme "paper patch way". i've been lucky to have won several matches with it, it's far more accurate than my old eyes. the cartridge starts off with reformed and then fire formed starline brass, federal 210 match primers, 78.5 grains of swiss 1-1/2f black powder, a .060" LDPE wad, a BACO Jim443530E slick that drops at 523 grains using 1:16 alloy (tin:lead) and wrapped in fidelity 9# onion paper. sights are lee shaver super grade vernier soule long distance. shot to shot fouling control is via wiping using a bore gopher with a dry patch.

this target shows some testing i did this past september @ 200 yards. it's an animated gif image that i compiled using images off my target camera (these things are Great and totally replace spotting scopes, specially at the longer distances out to 1000 yards). the number shots that landed up top of the face were accurate mold 404 grain slicks and the lettered shot holes popping up in the black were from the BACO mould 523 grain slicks. there's a fly in those shots that keeps moving around the face, too. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts