Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At a recent shooting event I helped RSO, a competitor showed up with a pair of these electronic hearing protectors:

Supreme Pro-X Earmuff in Hearing Protection | MSA - The Safety Company | United States

SordinEars.png

These are a very high quality hearing protector. Made in Sweden, they are MilSpec construction with the option of gel ear cushions. The electronic system is constructed to suppress high impulse noise, but still let you hear it (it doesn't completely cut out). They use two AAA batteries and alkaline batteries last hundreds of hours. It has auto-shutoff in case you forget and leave them on in your range bag. I'm not sure what plastic is used, but it feels quite dense, and may be similar to that used in modern pistol frames.

They are pricey, routinely priced at about $250. I found that I could buy them directly from a dealer in Sweden for quite a bit less thanks to the current strength of the dollar. EBAY is sometimes your friend...

Their narrow construction and cut-away shape at the bottom makes it easier to achieve a good cheek weld with your rifle stock.

In any case, they are great to wear and use, and should last quite a while compared to the less costly ones I keep breaking on the range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just read the noise reduction is different on some models. It goes from 19 to 21. I am not sure but I think that is on the low side, I think?

And some cheap muffs reduce 34-37 dB. I am easily confused by this technical stuff..

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Geez, I feel like an antique. I'm still using ear plugs under muffs. They look like the real deal but way outa my price range.

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These do not suppress as much noise as some other models claim. it's possible that they are conservative in their testing or specs.

The key is that they work well enough to protect your ears from damage, and that (when teaching) I can hear students and what is going on around me.

If I were shooting something big (magnum rifle) I'd add in the ear hearing protection.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
MSA = Mine Safety Appliance headquartered Cranberry Township Butler County @ I79-&-PA Route 228. The Supreme Pro-X I have a set. Excellent quality! Imported from Sweden I believe. Better than the (2) sets of Pro-Ear that I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts