Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wandered into the neighborhood pawn shop and saw this little RIA 1911 A1 sitting there and it just screamed my name and of course I could not say no to the negotiated price OTD. I like the wood grips and it is very clean and smooth operationally. Like the feel and the overall quality is excellent. Now have to have a range trip. But have Steel Shoot this weekend so will have to wait.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Hey Jeep,

Fine SCORE!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the RIA. I started with a 45 as a beater gun and liked it so much I bought a 10mm for everyday carry.

bob

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hubby bought a RIA 9mm 1911 and it is SO nice and such an accurate shooter that he just bought the next smaller version in .45acp. One of my friend's husbands recently bought the identical model that the OP posted and is very happy with it. He felt the wood grips were too fat for his hands, so found a set of carved wood grips with Celtic cross on them and they were "perfect."

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought a RIA tactical in 2011 and couldn't be happier. I didn't like the mag or the grips so I changed those but other than that all I've done is paint the sights and shoot it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a RIA tactical in 2011 and couldn't be happier. I didn't like the mag or the grips so I changed those but other than that all I've done is paint the sights and shoot it.
I have a CS (officers). It went through recoil springs fairly quickly but my understanding is that is common with any officer length gun and round wire recoil springs. I installed a guide rod kit with flat wire spring from Evolution Gun Works and it is 100% reliable and don't have to replace springs every 1000 rounds. What did you paint your sights with? I used fluorescent orange Testers model paint! I love my Rock Island.

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Congrats on a nice score. RIA is a quality firearm, you're gonna like it. I also have a RIA FS tactical 1911 and it has been great to shoot. My only 1911 as a matter of fact, but I would put it up against all the other brands for function, durability and accuracy.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a CS (officers). It went through recoil springs fairly quickly but my understanding is that is common with any officer length gun and round wire recoil springs. I installed a guide rod kit with flat wire spring from Evolution Gun Works and it is 100% reliable and don't have to replace springs every 1000 rounds. What did you paint your sights with? I used fluorescent orange Testers model paint! I love my Rock Island.
Haven't painted yet as want to shoot first. I have been doing mostly point and shoot for 10 yards or less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts