Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to notice the following warning on remington 1 1/2 primer boxes recently...... Do not use remington 1 1/2 primers in high power loads such as 357 and 40 s&w ......... serious injury and/or damage to firearms could occur ( not the exact wording, but it's close enough ). It states to use remington 5 1/2's in these cartridges. My question is, why is remington the only primer manufacturer to call for a magnum primer in the 40 s&w? All load data I have for 40 s&w calls for either CCI, winchester, or federal standard SP primers. Remington is the only company saying to use magnum primers in 40 s&w loads ....... anyone know why? Seems kinda backwards to me.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Maybe Remington's 1 1/2 primers have a thin cup and will not withstand the pressures of a .40 or .357? The 5 1/2 (mag) primers probably have a thicker cup. That's my guess anyhow!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
toroflow said:
Maybe Remington's 1 1/2 primers have a thin cup and will not withstand the pressures of a .40 or .357? The 5 1/2 (mag) primers probably have a thicker cup. That's my guess anyhow!
I thought about that also ....... but aren't the federals known for being the softest? After all, federals seem to be the most widely recommended primer for use in revolvers that have had action jobs done on them because of the lighter hammer strikes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is news to me. I will admit that I have used Remington primers much less than the other brands. Remington pistol primers always seemed to have a hard cup. much more so than the Federal. But I wont tell you to go against what the maker says.
However it would be interesting to hear the reason Remington might give for this.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bulletman said:
This is news to me. I will admit that I have used Remington primers much less than the other brands. Remington pistol primers always seemed to have a hard cup. much more so than the Federal. But I wont tell you to go against what the maker says.
However it would be interesting to hear the reason Remington might give for this.
I've never used remingtons much myself either and never noticed the warning before ....... never thought to look since reloaders often substitute one brand of sp primers for another if one's not available. I found out simply by checking primer availability on midway and accidently clicking the product review tab. One of the people that reviewed them mentioned the warning ....... so I then went out to my shop and read the box ...... it sure is on there. I haven't loaded any 40's with them, but have loaded light 9mm loads without any issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts