Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I have been shopping for a 3.5 inch model 27. Something I noticed on the nickel guns. Some have a blued front sight and ramp like this picture I stole of forum member 1911's revolver
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Some have a nickel plated front sight and ramp like this picture I got off the web
Revolver Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel

From what I have seen it seems the blued ramp/blade is mostly on the older guns, like maybe 62 and earlier. Does anyone know when they made the change, or was the blued sight something they did off and on? I am pretty sure I have seen some dash 2's with it but the majority are dash 1 and earlier.

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
My Pre 27 has the sights blued. So older model guns would make sense.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
16,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey Jonesy! Go FULL NIKE on that one. (Just Do it!)
It's a model 27, no dash on a popular auction site. I'll do my best, but it isn't over until Friday. Serial number makes it a 1960-61, so not quite a birth year gun because I am a model of 1963. I have bid on a couple but dropped out when they exeeded what I thought they were worth. I'll probably go all in on this one though. I hear it calling me and none of the others I bid on did that. Normally I would never spend the kind of money it's going to cost, but I received a small inheritance from my moms estate and decided she was going to buy me one last birthday present. Here is the other side. As you can see, the grips have been sanded down. I suspect they were damaged and the bad spots sanded away so if I end up winning it I'll need a set of period correct grips
Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
10,808 Posts
My 73 Nickel has Nickel sights, but I learned something mate.

Thewelshm

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
16,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m pullin for ya. We’re all in this together………until it comes time to pay of course.
Of course I wouldn’t expect you to help pay, but I’ll let you send me a nice set of grips if I get it and someone else can maybe chip in a leather holster….Wow, I must be giddy with excitement. . Starting to sound like a democrat there for a minute :oops:

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
It's a model 27, no dash on a popular auction site. I'll do my best, but it isn't over until Friday. Serial number makes it a 1960-61, so not quite a birth year gun because I am a model of 1963. I have bid on a couple but dropped out when they exeeded what I thought they were worth. I'll probably go all in on this one though. I hear it calling me and none of the others I bid on did that. Normally I would never spend the kind of money it's going to cost, but I received a small inheritance from my moms estate and decided she was going to buy me one last birthday present. Here is the other side. As you can see, the grips have been sanded down. I suspect they were damaged and the bad spots sanded away so if I end up winning it I'll need a set of period correct grips
View attachment 555485
Good luck jonesy I hope you get it. (y)(y)

·
Registered
119 Posts
....... As you can see, the grips have been sanded down. I suspect they were damaged and the bad spots sanded away so if I end up winning it I'll need a set of period correct grips......
Maybe, maybe not. I picked up a pair of diamond grips from Guy for a K frame a while back, He told be they had a lot of wear. Looked like they had been slightly sanded and tru/tung oiled. They have since become one of my favorite set of grips on a K. I just need an early four inch model 19 to put them on now.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
16,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Best of luck.

I'm usually not a shiny pistol guy but that one just looks right. Those sights are all business and offset the bling perfectly.
I was thinking I probably wanted a blued M27, but like you said, that one looks just right. I have not as of yet arrived at a top bid amount. I'll probably watch til the end and bid as I go instead of putting in a high bid and riding it out. I have never bought on Gunbroker. The only other gun I have not purchased in person is the 625 I bought from a forum member.
The seller of this one is A+ rated with over 10,000 transactions, which does help my anxiety over making my biggest gun purchase ever over the internet

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I wish you I good luck in getting that beauty. I think the older ones were blued front sights. I’m not sure when they made the change but my Model 27-7 has a nickel front sight so the change must have occurred between the two. I looked in the S&W 4th Ed and couldn’t find any date reference.

·
Registered
16,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish you I good luck in getting that beauty. I think the older ones were blued front sights. I’m not sure when they made the change but my Model 27-7 has a nickel front sight so the change must have occurred between the two. I looked in the S&W 4th Ed and couldn’t find any date reference.
I think kwb377 who posted up above is probably right. I bet they went away when they quit pinning the front sight ramp in place. With the ramp & sight blade separate from the barrel it would be easy to blue the sight and nickel the gun. If the ramp and sight are integral to the barrel it would be more difficult to finish each part differently. So now the question is, When did they stop pinning the ramp and blade?

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
4,242 Posts
I just think the older S&W in 3 1/2" are just worth a lot more. It mostly due to rarity as they only made them for a few years. Plus, they just look good and can be carried. ;)

That said the 4" revolvers are also good. I have no idea why the new S&W Classic Model 19 are 4 1/2" barrel? Why change a good thing?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts