Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lgs has a Remington M1903 for sale. According to them, it's a 1943 vintage. Just looking it over, it's not half bad. Other than being dirty, the stock is in good shape. The receiver, barrel, in fact all the metal parts seem to be in good shape. Of course the bluing is worn. But the barrel looks very good. No pitting and is clean and shiny. Overall, it looks good.

I can get it for $800 otd. Is that a deal or not? I really don't know and all I'm seeing on GB are sold items for more than that amount. But this one doesn't come with bayonet or cleaning kit. Just the rifle.

Any opinions are welcome. What say y'all?

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
I would get it as I got one a while back for 800 and on local site where we can sell guns they have jumped to 1,000.00 and most do not have bayonnets. Besides for that price it will shoot as good or better than newer guns. You got my vote to buy it and never look back. I also do not see many being posted either.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Carl, I'm not sure if you looked at this one https://www.gunbroker.com/item/795975324 but, that'd be over $900 + transfer fees (if it goes at start price). If yours looks anything like that $800 sounds good.

Attachments

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Administrator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, to be honest I didn't look at it close enough to say which version it is. I'm going back this weekend to look it over again and measure the muzzle. I think he said it's a 1903A3 but I could be mistaken. I do know for sure that's it's Remington manufacture. Are you suggesting that any version would be worth at least $800?

·
Administrator
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Bill. That helps a lot. I'm certainly not an expert on the 1903s, but since acquiring a Garand I've wanted one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Springfields

Springfields are fun rifles and carry a lot of history with them, particularly the 1903 (pre-WWII) examples. RdrBill has some good tips in a post above. Almost all 1903-1903A1 rifles were arsenal rebuilt at one time or another and if you know the stamps for each arsenal you can tell a lot about where the rifle has been. Brophy's Book of the Springfield is a handy source, but is long since out of print. Canfield wrote a fairly good book too and either may still be available on E-Bay or elsewhere. Once you get into Springfields, you'll want a good reference book for them.
Springfields 1903-800-90%.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it an 03a3? Remington made the 1903 modified in 41-42 but was replaced in May of 42 when the 03a3 came into production (Canfield pg 73). Sounds like an A3 vs an 03. Should have a peep sight similar to the m1 carbine instead of a latter sight. Do you have any pictures of it? Is the stock sanded or does it still have cartouches? Did they date it from the barrel or did they date it from the receiver? It might be a good deal, depending on the stock and other parts or a mixmaster. If the bolt has electro penciling on it, it may be a CMP greek return.
My 43 S&C 03a3 on the left.

Regardless if your buying it as a shooter and its in decent shape, its not terrible.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Carl, I didn't see the earlier discussion on this.

The key issue is whether it's in original configuration, and then if all the component parts are as originally shipped.

If it's been sporterized or modified in some way, it' not worth $800. (I bought an absolutely stunning sporterized M1903 Mark 1 a few years back for $250 locally).

Now that CMP is no longer providing this rifle, the prices have slowly gone up on original configuration rifles. I'd expect to see stock wear similar to the metal wear if it's collectible.

Here's the history, including critical serial number process change overs (involving cylinder hardening).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1903_Springfield

Marc

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,958 Posts
like any other collectible, knowing what you are buying is a leg up..

at 800 it's in general, a good price.. very good if it is a known to be an accurate shooter - many of these are mixmasters, especially the CMP ones - so i'd want to know how original it was..

first question would be receiver, obviously you can date the receiver based on the serial #, tables are readily avaialble.. make sure receiver hasn't been drilled for scope.

the barrel will have a stamp at the top underside before the front sight. it will indicate date and manufacturer...

the next thing id want to know is are there visible stock stamping, or have they been sanded off. a well marked stock will increase the value..
Similarly, the stocks are often manu stamped at the very front flat of the stock where the barrel exits
there are several different style of stocks used over the years . which version is on the rifle will effect value.

those three are the core 'value' points, most of the other parts are easily available and can be matched to a rifle's timeline

the bolt typically isn't serial numbered, but most of the greek surplus returns have a partial sn in electric pencil and stamped on the stock.. the underside of the bolt is often manu or lot stamped

I have the book 1903 Springfield by Poyer - pretty good, my only complaint is that the illustrations are B&W or simple drawings and dont due justice to many variants that you want to check..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If you're still thinking about it you might be too late. $800 is the asking price. Go deep inside you and bring out your inner horse trader! ;):D All they can say is no! $800 OTD?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts